White Sox's 4th Overall Pick, Nick Madrigal, Joins Intimidators
KANNAPOLIS, NC - Just over a week and a half after signing a $6.4 million deal, Nick Madrigal, Chicago White Sox's 4th overall pick out of Oregon State in this year's MLB First-Year Player Draft, will be suiting up in an Intimidators uniform.
The White Sox intend for the California native to start out at shortstop with Kannapolis, despite spending most of his time at second base with the Beavers. White Sox director of amateur scouting, Nick Hostetler, said he believes Madrigal was the best player in the draft and "I made the comment that I had the guy picked out that I wanted. That was the guy. That's not just lip service either, that's 100 percent the truth. Nick Madrigal is the guy that I've wanted for the last month."
In three years at Oregon State, Madrigal compiled a .361 batting average, hitting .380 his sophomore year and .367 in his junior campaign. With his time playing under head coach Pat Casey, the 5-foot-7, 165-pound infielder only committed 12 errors, good enough for a .981 fielding percentage. Another eye-popping stat that intrigued the White Sox front office, Madrigal struck out a measly 37 times in three seasons from the right side of the plate, showing off his impeccable plate discipline.
With the Beavers, Madrigal led his team, with the help of many other top prospects surrounding him, to the 2018 College World Series, defeating Arkansas in a decisive game three, 5-0, capturing Oregon State's third national championship. Throughout their postseason run, the Beavers won six elimination games.
After being drafted by the Cleveland Indians in the 17th round of the 2015 MLB Draft out of Elk Grove High School in Elk Grove, California, hitting .450 his senior year, Madrigal declined and decided to take his talents to Oregon State. At OSU, Madrigal obtained a plethora of awards: 2016 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, 2017 Baseball America All-American 1st team, 2017 Pac-12 Player of the Year, 2017 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, 2017 CWS All-Tournament Team, 2018 Golden Spikes Award Semifinalist, 2018 Dick Howser Trophy Semifinalist, 3-Time All-Pac-12 Team, 2018 Pac12 All-Conference Team, and 2018 Pac-12 All-Defensive Team.
As one can see, the White Sox got themselves a gem with Madrigal. Now it's time to see him flourish with the rest of the young talent throughout the organization.
The Intimidators have a game Monday night at 7:05 p.m. and a 12:05 p.m. first pitch with Hagerstown on Tuesday before an off-day on Wednesday. After the off-day, Kannapolis will travel to Hickory for a four-game series with the Crawdads.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 16, 2018
- Esthay Hits Ninth Homer in 7-6 Loss Monday - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Drop Seventh Straight for First Time Since 2014 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Golden's Opportunity: Local Collects 3 Hits - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- BlueClaws, Fireflies Split Monday Double-Header - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hall, Popup Lead Shorebirds Past Power - Delmarva Shorebirds
- A Little R & R: Rheams and Rennie Both Remarkable in Doubleheader Split - Columbia Fireflies
- Kranick Strikes out Career-Best Nine Batters in 4-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Parra Paces the Pitching While Bats Blast off Again - Asheville Tourists
- Game Postponed Due to Rain - Augusta GreenJackets
- Peace Love Baseball; Asheville Hippies Returning this Thursday - Asheville Tourists
- DL Hall Repeats as SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Preview: Hoppers Look to Bounce Back - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Getting in Hot Water, RiverDogs to Transform into Charleston Boiled Peanuts for a Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 16 at Lakewood (Games 90 & 91) - Columbia Fireflies
- White Sox's 4th Overall Pick, Nick Madrigal, Joins Intimidators - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Win 6-4, Canning Homers on Sunday - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Themed Fireworks Displays Highlight Historic Season Ahead
- Intimidators Team with PSC to Enhance Fan Experience
- Temerity Baseball Taps Matt Millward as GM for Kannapolis Ball Team
- Intimidators to Host Job Fair on Saturday, February 23rd
- A Letter to Our Fans