White K's 10 as Woodies Take Finale in Zebulon
Zebulon, N.C. - Despite falling behind early, the Down East Wood Ducks clubbed three home runs against the Carolina Mudcats, taking the 5-2 win Sunday afternoon. Owen White (W, 2-1) finished with a career-high 10 strikeouts in six innings to earn the Suddenlink Player of the Game.
For the second night in-a-row, Carolina (65-49) struck first in the bottom of the first, this time with two runs to take a 2-0 lead.
Down East (68-46) tied the game in the top of the second. With two outs, Thomas Saggese doubled and came around to score on a two-run home run (3) by Randy Florentino.
The Wood Ducks took their first lead in the top of the third. With one out, Aaron Zavala blasted a solo home run (1), his first with Down East, to give them a 3-2 lead.
The bats continued swing in the top of the sixth for the Woodies. With one out, Keyber Rodriguez was hit by a pitch. Freeman doubled home Rodriguez for the 4-2 lead, but was thrown out trying to advance to third. With the bases empty, Saggese hit a solo home run (10) to increase the lead to three, 5-2.
White (W, 2-1) tossed six innings, allowing two runs on seven hits with 10 strikeouts. Leury Tejada contributed two scoreless innings, allowing just one hit and striking out one. Eudrys Mañon (S, 6) shut the door with one scoreless inning and tallied two strikeouts en route to his sixth save of the season.
With an off day tomorrow, the Wood Ducks return home for the final six games of the 2021 season to host the Charleston RiverDogs. The starters for that series have not been announced.
Fans can purchase tickets on woodducksbaseball.com, by calling the Wood Ducks Team Offices at (252) 686-5164 or in the Wood Ducks Team Offices located at Grainger Stadium (Mon-Fri - 9am - 4pm). Make sure to follow your Down East Wood Ducks on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook so you don't miss anything!
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Winning Streak Snapped, Jackets Fall 7-6 in Home Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Revel in Slump-Breaking Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Final Home Game of Regular Season Results in Shutout Loss to Pelicans - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pelicans Shutout RiverDogs in Final Road Game of the Season - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Birds Wrap Home Campaign with Victory over FredNats - Delmarva Shorebirds
- FredNats Drop Road Finale in Back-And-Forth Defeat - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Carolina Falls 5-2 in Home Finale - Carolina Mudcats
- Kannapolis Tops Fayetteville in Final Home Game of the Season - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- White K's 10 as Woodies Take Finale in Zebulon - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Roster Moves and Game Notes at Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Carolina - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hearn's Grand Slam Powers Pelicans over RiverDogs - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Kannapolis on Wrong End of Comeback; Drop to Woodpeckers 9-8 Saturday - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.