Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Carolina
The Down East Wood Ducks look to bounce back today as they wrap up their series with the Carolina Mudcats at 1:00 p.m. RHP Owen White (1-1, 3.66) will start on the bump for the Wood Ducks and Carolina will counter with RHP Brailin Rodriguez (0-0, 3.00).
WOOD DUCKS PITCHING HAMMERED BY CAROLINA: After sweeping the doubleheader yesterday, the Down East Wood Ducks struggled as they fell 14-10 to the Carolina Mudcats, Saturday night. Carolina clubbed three home runs against Down East pitchers and all four allowed at least two runs.
ROAD WARRIORS: Down East seems more comfortable playing on the road. Right now, the Wood Ducks are 37-22 (.627) on the road this season, which is the best road record in the Low-A East. This season, the Woodies have only lost two road series and are 6-2-1 with one six-game sweep and a series split against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.
SWIPER KEEP SWIPING!: Being fast and loose on the base paths has been the secret to their success. When the Wood Ducks steal a base, they are 62-30 on the season. Currently, the Wood Ducks are the top team in all of MiLB in stolen bases (281) . Jayce Easley (69), Luisangel Acuña (44) lead the way for the Wood Ducks as their two primary and best base stealers. Alejandro Osuna (17), Angel Aponte (16), Keithron Moss (14), Xavier Valentin (12), Thomas Saggese (11), and Daniel Mateo (11) have also been active on the base paths this season. Every member of the active roster has at least one stolen base.
EARLY BIRD GETS THE WORM: The Woodies are outscoring opponents 612 - 541 and 161 - 122 in the first two innings. Down East is 20-4 when they score first at home, and 50-14 overall when they score first.
MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, WHAT'S THE FAIREST JERSEY OF THEM ALL?: The Wood Ducks have plenty of jerseys to choose from when they take the field. Currently they have a 37-22 road record and are 30-24 at home. When they suit up in their camo jerseys, the Wood Ducks have a 33-22 record overall, with a 7-8 record at home. Their green jersey owns the best winning percentage (.619) with a 13-8 record this season. Down East has played ten games in specialty jersey's and are 6-4. As the Avocados Luchadores, they are 2-2 and are 1-1 as the Collard Greens at home this season. Their primary home (white) jersey owns a 14-12 record this season. The Wood Ducks have a winning record with every jersey except in their home whites.
ROLLER COASTER RIDE: After a great start to the season, the Woodies saw inconsistent play through June and most of July. Down East played .500 baseball in the month of July, going 14-14 with a team ERA of 5.99. The Woodies finished off August as their best month of the season, going 17-9 (.653) with a team ERA of 4.35. Down East outscored their opponents 153-130.
BUT CAN THEY GET ON BASE?: The Wood Ducks have seen a lot of streaks this season. Although they're in the middle of the pack in the Low-A East in OBP (.339) the Woodies have seen some of their players reach some impressive on-base streaks. Jayce Easley (7/4 - 8/3) and Cristian Inoa (7/22 - 8/28) both have tallied a season-high is a 25-game on-base streak. Luisangel Acuña has four on-base streaks of 5+ and two of 10+ games, with his season-high at 16 straight games.
POTW: Nick Krauth tossed the first nine-inning complete game against Fayetteville on 8/28. For the second week in-a-row, Krauth was tabbed as the Low-A East Pitcher of the Week (8/31 - 9/5). He went six innings against Kannapolis on 9/4 and tallied a career-high 11 strikeouts. Krauth is the only Wood Duck to be named Low-A East POTW (8/24 - 9/29) & (8/31 - 9/5).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Winning Streak Snapped, Jackets Fall 7-6 in Home Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Revel in Slump-Breaking Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Final Home Game of Regular Season Results in Shutout Loss to Pelicans - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pelicans Shutout RiverDogs in Final Road Game of the Season - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Birds Wrap Home Campaign with Victory over FredNats - Delmarva Shorebirds
- FredNats Drop Road Finale in Back-And-Forth Defeat - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Carolina Falls 5-2 in Home Finale - Carolina Mudcats
- Kannapolis Tops Fayetteville in Final Home Game of the Season - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- White K's 10 as Woodies Take Finale in Zebulon - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Roster Moves and Game Notes at Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Carolina - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hearn's Grand Slam Powers Pelicans over RiverDogs - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Kannapolis on Wrong End of Comeback; Drop to Woodpeckers 9-8 Saturday - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.