Kannapolis Tops Fayetteville in Final Home Game of the Season
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - In the final home game of the 2021 Low-A regular season at Atrium Health Ballpark, the Kannapolis Cannon Ballers outlasted the Fayetteville Woodpeckers, getting RBIs from four different batters in Sunday's 6-2 victory to split the series.
RHP Matt Thompson started the day for Kannapolis on the mound, providing a non-statistical quality outing with four shutout innings of work, allowing two hits, walking four, and striking out four. RHP Kohl Simas (W, 2-0) relieved Thompson in the fifth, going three frames, allowing two runs on three hits, walking two and striking out four.
The Ballers opened the scoring in the bottom of the third, tallying three runs in an impressive string of offense. Adam Hackenberg started the party with an RBI single to right field, scoring Caberea Weaver to make it 1-0. Samil Polanco quickly followed with an RBI double to left field, driving in Bryan Ramos and Hackenberg to put Kannapolis up 3-0.
RHP Spencer Arrighetti (L, 2-1) made his first career start for the Woodpeckers on the bump, lasting 2.2 frames, allowing two runs on one hit, walking one and getting six punchouts. RHP Jose Betances relieved Arrighetti in the third, striking out one while permitting two hits and one run.
Fayetteville answered with offense in the top of the fifth, getting on the board on a Kobe Kato inside-the-park home run. Kato's first career home run sliced into the Cannon Ballers lead 3-1.
Miguel Palma closed the gap for the Woodpeckers in the top of the sixth, scoring Will Wagner with an RBI single to push Fayetteville to trailing just 3-2.
Hackenberg continued his recent success at the plate with an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh. The former Clemson backstop drove in Ramos to give Kannapolis an insurance run and grow the lead to 4-2.
Jayson Gonzalez notched his third RBI of the season on an RBI double to left field, scoring pinch-runner Misael Gonzalez to expand the lead in favor of the Ballers 5-2. J. Gonzalez crossed the plate later in the frame on a sacrifice fly off the bat of Wilber Sanchez, making it 6-2, advantage Kannapolis.
The Kannapolis Cannon Ballers will take Monday off before venturing out on the road for the final series of the 2021 Low-A regular season against the Columbia Fireflies, Low-A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. The Ballers will face off against the Fireflies at Segra Park for six games Sept. 14-19.
Fans can keep up with the action on the team's social media outlets, with live in-game updates being provided on twitter at @kcannonballers.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Winning Streak Snapped, Jackets Fall 7-6 in Home Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Revel in Slump-Breaking Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Final Home Game of Regular Season Results in Shutout Loss to Pelicans - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pelicans Shutout RiverDogs in Final Road Game of the Season - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Birds Wrap Home Campaign with Victory over FredNats - Delmarva Shorebirds
- FredNats Drop Road Finale in Back-And-Forth Defeat - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Carolina Falls 5-2 in Home Finale - Carolina Mudcats
- Kannapolis Tops Fayetteville in Final Home Game of the Season - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- White K's 10 as Woodies Take Finale in Zebulon - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Roster Moves and Game Notes at Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Carolina - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hearn's Grand Slam Powers Pelicans over RiverDogs - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Kannapolis on Wrong End of Comeback; Drop to Woodpeckers 9-8 Saturday - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Baller Chronicle: Kannapolis Swipes Series with FredNats to Move to Above .500
- Cannon Baller Chronicle: Homestand Brings Ballers Second Straight Split Series
- Community-Focused Nights Added to Cannon Ballers Schedule
- Major Composting Effort Highlights Cannon Ballers Earth Day Initiatives
- F&M Bank Cannon Ballers Invitational Announced