Weekly: Penguins Return from New England Maintaining First
Wednesday, Feb. 7 - PENGUINS 3 at Springfield 1
The Penguins' special teams came through in a tight battle against Springfield. Gage Quinney opened the scoring, followed by power play goals by Thomas Di Pauli and Garrett Wilson. Goalie Casey DeSmith and the penalty kill prevented Springfield from scoring on all three of their power play chances.
Friday, Feb. 9 - PENGUINS 0 at Providence 4
The Penguins saw their four-game win streak come to an end. Casey DeSmith made an impressive 39 saves while facing a 43 shot attack from Providence.
Sunday, Feb. 11 - PENGUINS 3 at Providence 2 (SO)
The Penguins avenged their previous fall to the Bruins with a brilliant comeback and shootout victory. Trailing 2-0 after one period, the Penguins saw Gage Quinney and Jarred Tinordi feed the comeback, each notching a goal in the second period. Scoreless third and overtime periods led to a shootout, where Jean-S ébastien Dea tallied the only goal.
The Week Ahead
Friday, Feb. 16 - PENGUINS at Rochester
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton hopes to respond to a 5-2 loss handed to them by Rochester back in December. The Amerks have played 21 overtime games this season, most in the AHL.
Saturday, Feb. 17 - PENGUINS vs. Utica
On Military Appreciation Night Presented by MetLife, the Penguins host the Comets in the clubs' first meeting this season. Utica is riding a six-game win streak and has skyrocketed to second in the North Division.
Sunday, Feb. 18 - PENGUINS at Lehigh Valley
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton looks to claim the season series lead at Lehigh Valley, as they both have five wins against the other.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton became the fourth team to reach 30 wins this season. The Penguins have failed to record 30 wins in only two of their 19 seasons.
- Casey DeSmith has tended goal in all four of the Penguins' shootouts this season and has made 10 saves on 11 attempts.
- Daniel Sprong leads all AHL rookies in shots per game (3.16), and he also ranks second in points per game (1.00) and goals (20).
- Thomas Di Pauli ended a 15-game goalless streak by scoring on Wednesday, becoming the sixth Penguin to reach double digits in goal scoring.
- The Penguins are 7-1-1-0 when Gage Quinney scores a goal this season.
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS Pt%
1. PENGUINS 47 30 13 3 1 64 .681
2. Lehigh Valley 50 30 14 3 3 66 .660
3. Providence 49 28 16 3 2 61 .622
4. Charlotte 50 27 20 0 3 57 .570
5. Bridgeport 49 23 19 5 2 53 .541
6. Hartford 51 24 20 3 3 55 .539
7. Springfield 51 22 27 1 1 46 .451
8. Hershey 51 19 25 4 4 45 .441
SKATERS GP G A PTS
Daniel Sprong* 37 20 17 37
Ryan Haggerty 33 16 15 31
Zach Aston-Reese*^ 41 9 20 29
Jean-Sébastien Dea 42 11 17 28
Teddy Blueger^ 45 12 14 26
GOALIES GP W-L-OT GAA SV% Shutouts
Casey DeSmith 22 14-6-2 2.50 .917 2
Anthony Peters 13 7-4-2 2.33 .916 1
^ currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Fri, Feb. 16 Rochester Blue Cross Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Feb. 17 Utica Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sun, Feb. 18 Lehigh Valley PPL Center 5:05 p.m.
Thu, Feb. 8 (C) Teddy Blueger Recalled by PIT
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2018
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Forward Rocco Grimaldi from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Tokarski 40-Save Shutout Pushes Win Streak to Four - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Charlotte Dominates Wolf Pack 6-0 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Claim Second Straight Win, Top IceHogs 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Canes Recall Brown from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Nedeljkovic Snags Second Straight Shutout in 6-0 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Bridgeport records at least 40 shots for the fifth time this season, but falls to 0-3-2-0 against Lehigh Valley - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Defenseman Duncan Siemens from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Hands Down Suspension to Callahan - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Canucks Recall Philip Holm, Comets Sign Frankie Simonelli - Utica Comets
- Time for Valentine's Day, Admirals Style - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Weekly #19: with Fresh Blood, Bears Head to Canada - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Samuel Laberge Reassigned to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Rockford Seeks to Right the Ship against Monsters - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Recall Defender Tommy Hughes from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Iowa Wild Recalls Jack Walker, Reassigns Forward Pavel Jenys - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Sign Forward Caleb Herbert to PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- San Diego Gulls Recall Alex Dostie - San Diego Gulls
- San Antonio Recalls Forward J.C. Beaudin from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose Sign Lotz, Release Hildebrand - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Sign Forward Michael Kirkpatrick to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- St. Louis Blues Recall Oskar Sundqvist from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Return to PPL Center this Saturday, Sunday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- T-Birds Assign Downing, Beauchemin to Manchester (ECHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Weekly: Penguins Return from New England Maintaining First - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Add Benoit from Blue Jackets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monsters Announce Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Complete Homestand Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Amerks Recall Danforth from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Red Wings Reassign Sadowy to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Iowa Downs San Antonio 3-2 for Third Consecutive Win - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.