Weekend Preview: Games 51, 52 vs. Charlotte Checkers
Saturday, February 15th - 2:00 PM PST- PNC Arena
Sunday, February 16th - 10:30 AM PST - PNC Arena
Radio: CIVL RADIO 101.7FM
*Pre-Game Show begins 15 minutes prior puck-drop
Abbotsford, BC - Due to hazardous weather and travel delays in North Carolina, Friday's 4:30 PM PST game between the Charlotte Checkers and Abbotsford Heat at PNC Arena in Raleigh has been postponed until Saturday, Feb. 15, at 2:00PM PST.
The Heat's only regulation loss during their eight-game home stand came in the very last game on Sunday to Texas. However, it was a solid home set for the Heat with a record of 5-1-2-0 and at least a point earned in seven of the eight games at the AESC. The Heat tallied a total of 29 goals while allowing 19 goals against. Of the 40 opposition man advantages during their home stand, Abbotsford allowed only three power play goals (all came all in the last game) and scored four shorthanded goals.
The Heat currently sit first place in the Western Conference with a 31-15-3-1 record and 66 points.
HEAT vs. CHECKERS (AHL AFFILIATE OF THE CAROLINA HURRICANES)
The Heat have won both of their outings against the Checkers this season, which happened to be last week during the Heat's home stand. Abbotsford beat Charlotte handily 7-1 in the first game and then 4-3, a night later. With the NHL Olympic break in effect, both games this weekend will take place at PNC Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina, home to the Checkers NHL affiliate, the Carolina Hurricanes, which seats 19,772.
The Checkers currently sit in fourth place in the West Division with a 22-23-1-1 record and 46 points. They enter this weekend six points back of the eighth and final playoff spot and will be looking to turn things around as they are currently on a four game losing streak.
2013-14 Heat head to head stats vs. Charlotte Checkers:
02/04/14 - ABB 7 CHA 1 @ AESC
02/05/14 - ABB 4 CHA 3 @ AESC
Individual leaders in season series (among active skaters):
ABB: Olson: 5 points in 2 GP (0-5-5), Street: 4 points in 2 GP (2-2-4), Granlund: 3 points in 2 GP (2-1-3), Roy: 2 GP (2-0-0-0, 59/63 saves)
CHA: Biega: 3 points in 2 GP (2-1-3), Bre. Sutter: 3 points in 2 GP (0-3-3), Boychuk: 2 points in 2 GP (1-1-2), Murphy: 2 GP (0-1-0-0, 48/55 saves)
NEWS & NOTES
This Saturday's game marks the start of a five game road trip for the Heat. After the Heat and Checkers play again on Sunday, the Heat will then take on Milwaukee on Friday, February 21st, and then close the trip with a doubleheader on Saturday and Sunday against the Chicago Wolves. The Heat will be back in action on home ice February 29th and March 1st, against the defending champion, Grand Rapids Griffins.
Heat forward Carter Bancks is set to play in his 200th AHL regular season game this Saturday night. The Marysville, BC native has recorded 48 points (12-33-48) and 163 penalty minutes in his career to date.
The Abbotsford Heat announced February 9th, that they have assigned defenceman Drew MacKenzie to the Alaska Aces, the Heat's developmental affiliate in the ECHL.
The Abbotsford Heat announced on February 10th, that they have released goaltender Thomas Heemskerk.
Brandon Astle will bring all live Heat action this week on 101.7 CIVL FM and on www.teamradio.ca. The pre-game show begins 15 minutes before puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2014
- Stars Weekly (Week 20) - Stars Take Three Points out of Four at Abbotsford - Texas Stars
- Comets Reloaded - Utica Comets
- Griffins and Sled Wings to Throw Down in Ninth Annual Sled Hockey Game - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Recalls Brace from Ontario - Iowa Wild
- Weekend Preview: Games 51, 52 vs. Charlotte Checkers - Abbotsford Heat
- Sharks Aim Toward Playoff Push - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Assign Manderson and Rowney to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- "Cheers" with the Wolves at Hofbräuhaus in Rosemont - Chicago Wolves
- Friday's Heat vs Checkers Game Postponed Until 2pm Saturday - Abbotsford Heat
- Labatt Bubble Hockey Tournament of Champions - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hoffman Stellar in First All-Star Appearance - Binghamton Senators
- Pirates Release Corey Trivino from Professional Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Phantoms Weekly - Love Is in the Air - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.