Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
A capacity crowd witnessed something that had been sorely lacking in Wave home games this season, a fast start. A mere 1:06 into the game, Ian Bennett scored his first of 6 goals on the evening (12 total between the last two home games), assisted by Marcio Leite. Bennett would also notch an assist by aiding the second goal of the game, scored by Derek Huffman, halfway through the first period. Bennett would score again in the first period assisted again by Leite to make it 3-0 Wave. Andre Hayne closed out the first period with a special head-butt goal, assisted by Angel Curiel, which gave the Wave a 4-0 lead at the end of the first. Orlando did get on the board early in the second period, but not through defensive lapses, but rather a lucky bounce that managed to get just beyond goalie Rafa Dias' reach. The Wave would score two more goals in the second period, both unassisted, one by Bennett and one by Isaac Pereyra, to go up 6-1 at halftime.
After a scoreless third period, the SeaWolves would score next goal off a power play just 25 seconds into the fourth period. The Wave responded with goals by Bennett and Pereyra, assisted by Max Ferdinand and Andrew Wiedabach respectively. The assist by Ferdinand was one of two on the evening for him and extended his point streak to 20 games! Orlando would score one final time with 9:41 left in the fourth to the make it an 8-3 game. The Wave answered with a goal by Guilherme Veiga (assisted by Luan Oliveira) and two more goals by Bennett, assisted by Ferdinand and Stuart Grable to close out a decisive win.
Wave goalie Rafa Dias was dominant, stopping 16 of 19 shots for a .786 save percentage. Only two shots really got past Rafa tonight, which he attributed to his vast soccer experience both outdoor and futsal (indoor soccer), but said "it's definitely tough on the goalie as we try watch where the ball bounces, especially with the walls, but I have gotten used to it." Rafa also gave credit to his defense which really stepped up their game tonight.
Coach Giuliano Oliviero was proud of the team's bounce back performance after back-to-back road losses, "I don't think our confidence ever truly wavered, even though Orlando's had a tough year we were never going to take them lightly." Coach Oliviero also emphasized, "We showed up to play right from the start, which has been a struggle for us all year."
Final Score: Milwaukee Wave 11, Orlando SeaWolves 3.
The Wave remain at home for their second to last regular season home game in a rematch with the SeaWolves, Sunday March 8 with 1:07 pm first kick. It will be our Girl Power game, celebrating all female soccer players and their outstanding accomplishments! Plus our Sunday Funday, where you can enjoy $3 beer, pretzels & popcorn!
For tickets and more information visit MilwaukeeWave.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Lancers Record 1st Win of the Season on Gary Boughton Night - Rochester Lancers
- Cal Express Outscored by the Outlaws - Turlock Cal Express
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader - Milwaukee Wave
- Stars in California for a Pair of Games this Weekend - Tacoma Stars
- SeaWolves Fall to Wave in Milwaukee - Orlando SeaWolves
- Comets Fall in Rochester - Kansas City Comets
- Blast Keep Playoff Hopes Alive, Defeat Heat 9-5 - Baltimore Blast
- Sockers Match Preview vs. Tacoma - San Diego Sockers
- Lancers to Honor Retiring Co-Captain Boughton in Their Home Finale on Saturday Night - Rochester Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Milwaukee Wave announces cancellation of 2020-21 season
- Washington County FC Joins ROC Ventures SC Wave Family
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend