Warriors Beat Spurs 109-104 and Extend Win Streak to Eight
ORLANDO, FL - The Santa Cruz Warriors (9-3) beat the Austin Spurs (8-4) Sunday morning, 109-104. The Warriors extended their win streak to eight, the longest streak of this year's NBA G league season. Golden State Warriors two-way guard Nico Mannion set a new season high with 27 points (one night after scoring 25 points).
The teams were tied 98-98 with two minutes remaining until guard Jeremy Lin scored back-to-back buckets with 1:20 remaining and guard Isaiah Reese hit a three-pointer with 34 seconds left to give the Warriors a five-point lead, 105-100. The Warriors scored the rest of their points at the stripe and extended the win streak to eight games.
The teams were tied twice in the third quarter before a 12-4 Spurs run gave Austin a six-point lead to enter the final quarter, 78-72.
The Warriors opened the second quarter on a 7-0 run and led by as many as 14 to maintain a slight lead over the Spurs into halftime, 48-42.
Lin returned to the lineup after missing the previous five games due to injury and contributed 25 points and four assists. Dallas Mavericks flex-assigned forward Nate Hinton got his first start with the Warriors and scored 14 points and 13 rebounds. Center Selom Mawugbe had 10 points and five blocks off the bench for Santa Cruz.
The Warriors were without three starters (Dusty Hannahs, Jordan Poole and Axel Toupane) in the Sunday morning victory.
Spurs guard Cameron Reynolds led the team with 20 points (3-8 3FG). Guard Khyri Thomas added 18 points (4-10 3FG) and five rebounds. Guard Anthony Mathias came off the bench with 19 points.
Santa Cruz will next face the Erie Bayhawks on March 2 at 8 a.m. (PST) on NBC Sports Bay Area. For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 28, 2021
- BayHawks Clinch Playoff Berth, Defeat Greensboro 126-91 - Erie BayHawks
- Wolves Down Westchester for Second Straight Win - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Drop Back and Forth Game to Lakeland - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Salt Lake City Stars Comeback Falls Short against Rio Grande Valley Vipers - Salt Lake City Stars
- Lakeland Magic Defeat Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Lakeland Magic
- Santa Cruz Edges Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Warriors Beat Spurs 109-104 and Extend Win Streak to Eight - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Charge Drop Heartbreaker to Ignite - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Jordan Poole Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Vaccination Site
- Axel Toupane Signs Two-Way Contract with Milwaukee Bucks
- Warriors, Kaiser Permanente and the Athletes' Corner Donate 50,280 Meals to Second Harvest Food Bank Santa Cruz County
- Warriors Season Ends with Loss to Magic, 108-96