Vinc Named to NLL First Team
Goaltender Matt Vinc continues to bring in the accolades after a historic season in the National Lacrosse League. On Tuesday, Vinc was named a league All-Pro for the fourth time in his career. Vinc earned First Team honors for the third time in his career.
"It is definitely an honor to win this award, especially with so many other goalies being more than deserving of the award," said Vinc. "It is also a testament to how well our 'D' has played this year. However, my main focus is on winning the championship. That's the real indicator of how successful we were as a group."
In 2013, he was also named the NLL Goaltender of the Year and the Knighthawks' Most Valuable Player. He set the league's new single-season record with 662 saves and now owns three of the top five totals. He also led the league in goals-against average (10.17), save percentage (.803) and played a career-high 955:28 minutes out of the team's total of 960:00 (99.5%).
He became the first NLL goalie to win the Goaltender of the Year Award three times in his career. He also earned the honor in 2010 and 2011, the same seasons he was selected as a First-Team All-Pro. Vinc collected Second Team honors in 2008. Backstopping Rochester's defense that allowed the fewest goals in the NLL, Vinc won three Defensive Player of the Week Awards this year.
In 2013, Vinc became the first Rochester goalie to make over 600 saves and record a save percentage over .800, breaking franchise records in both categories held by Knighthawks Hall of Fame goalie Pat O'Toole. In addition, Vinc passed Steve Dietrich for second all-time in saves as a Knighthawk. He now has 1,830 since coming to Rochester prior to the 2011 season.
Vinc could join Dietrich as the only goaltender to be crowned the NLL's Goaltender of the Year and MVP. In 2006, Dietrich led the league in goals-against average and save percentage while backstopping the Buffalo Bandits to an appearance in the Champion's Cup, and was rewarded with both league honors. In addition, no goaltender has ever hoisted the Cup in the same season they were crowned Goaltender of the Year.
An eight-year NLL veteran and St. Catharines, Ontario native, Vinc played collegiately at Canisius College and was drafted in the first round (sixth overall) of the 2005 NLL Entry Draft.
The Knighthawks will have an opportunity to defend their 2012 championship against the Washington Stealth at the Langley Events Centre on Saturday, May 11th at 7:00 p.m. The game will be aired live exclusively on the CBS Sports Network.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from May 7, 2013
- Grant Jr. Named All-Pro for Ninth Time - Colorado Mammoth
- Stealth's Rhys Duch and Mike Grimes named to 2013 NLL All-Pro Team - Washington Stealth
- Vinc Named to NLL First Team - Rochester Knighthawks
- Minnesota Swarm's Macintosh and Crawford Earn All-Pro Honors - Minnesota Swarm
- Philadelphia Wings Goalie Brandon Miller Named to NLL All-Pro Second Team - Philadelphia Wings
- Rubish Named to NLL ALL-Pro Team - Edmonton Rush
- League Announces 2013 NLL All-Pro Teams - NLL
- Two Roughnecks Named to NLL All-Pro Teams - Calgary Roughnecks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Knighthawks Stories
- Knighthawks Sign Watson to Two-Year Contract
- Shields Agrees to Two-Year Deal with Knighthawks
- Knighthawks Sign Three 2020 Draft Picks to Multi-Year Deals
- Knighthawks Acquire Eight Players in 2020 NLL Entry Draft
- Knighthawks Agree to Terms with Free Agent Defenseman Rowan Kelly on Two-Year Deal