ValleyCats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
TROY, NY - The Tri-City ValleyCats today praised the newly created Save Minor League Baseball Task Force that has been organized by members of Congress to prevent Major League Baseball (MLB) from eliminating 42 minor league franchises, nearly one quarter of all minor league teams around the country.
"We appreciate the support of Rep. Lori Trahan (D.-Massachusetts), David McKinley (R-W.Va.) and the members of the task force in standing up for Minor League Baseball and speaking out against MLB's effort cast off thousands of jobs, reduce affordable, family-friendly entertainment and undermine grassroots support for our great game," said ValleyCats General Manager Matt Callahan.
While the Tri-City ValleyCats were not on the list of teams facing the possibility of elimination under the MLB proposal, the ValleyCats will remain vigilant and united with all Minor League Baseball teams in opposition to the MLB plan.
Minor league teams are vital to the social and economic lives of millions of Americans; they support scores of local businesses and jobs, provide accessible entertainment, help promote tourism spending and donate tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions.
"With this proposal, MLB is willing to break the hearts of dozens of communities across the country," said Callahan. "We are going to resist this plan and are gratified that so many in Congress are willing to join with us."
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Staten Island Yankees Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Staten Island Yankees
- ValleyCats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - State College Spikes
- Crosscutters Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Williamsport Crosscutters
- West Virginia Black Bears Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - West Virginia Black Bears
- Mahoning Valley Scrappers Praise Congressional Efforts to Save Minor League Baseball - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Connecticut Tigers Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Norwich Sea Unicorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City ValleyCats Stories
- ValleyCats Set to Join the Frontier League for 2021
- ValleyCats Not Extended MLB Invite, Vow to Continue Operations
- ValleyCats Issue Statement Regarding the Passing of Joe Bruno
- ValleyCats Announce Fall Festival
- ValleyCats Set to Complete Final '4 in 24' Field on Friday