Connecticut Tigers Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
NORWICH, CT - The Connecticut Tigers today praised the newly created Save Minor League Baseball Task Force that has been organized by members of Congress to prevent Major League Baseball (MLB) from eliminating 42 minor league franchises, nearly one quarter of all minor league teams around the country.
"We appreciate the support of Rep. Lori Trahan (D.-Massachusetts), David McKinley (R-W.Va.) and the members of the task force in standing up for Minor League Baseball and speaking out against MLB's effort cast off thousands of jobs, reduce affordable, family-friendly entertainment and undermine grassroots support for our great game," said Connecticut Tigers General Manager Dave Schermerhorn.
The Connecticut Tigers have been identified as one of the 42 franchises facing elimination under the MLB proposal.
Minor league teams are vital to the social and economic lives of millions of Americans; they support scores of local businesses and jobs, provide accessible entertainment, help promote tourism spending and donate tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions.
"With this proposal, MLB is willing to break the hearts of dozens of communities across the country," said Schermerhorn. "We are going to resist this plan and are gratified that so many in Congress are willing to join with us."
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Staten Island Yankees Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Staten Island Yankees
- ValleyCats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - State College Spikes
- Crosscutters Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Williamsport Crosscutters
- West Virginia Black Bears Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - West Virginia Black Bears
- Mahoning Valley Scrappers Praise Congressional Efforts to Save Minor League Baseball - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Connecticut Tigers Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Norwich Sea Unicorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norwich Sea Unicorns Stories
- Norwich Sea Unicorns and Minor League Baseball Statements Regarding 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Sea Unicorns to Celebrate Pi Day March 13th & 14th
- 2020 CT Military All-Star Nominations Now Open
- Congressman Joe Courtney and Norwich Mayor Peter Nystrom to Hold Press Conference at Dodd Stadium Monday, February 3rd
- Norwich Sea Unicorns Announce 2020 Coaching Staff