USL Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Season
The United Soccer League announced today, following approval from the USL Championship's Board of Governors, that the previously announced 30-day temporary suspension of play in the Championship will be extended to align with recent guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on restricting public gatherings of 50 or more people through Sunday, May 10th.
"During these uncertain times, we will continue to do our best to bring a sense of normalcy to our community by engaging with them online," said majority owner and CEO of New Mexico United, Peter Trevisani. "We are continuing to put the health of our players & staff first, by closing our front office and retail shop and having the players train on their own for a minimum of two weeks."
New Mexico United fully supports the league's decision, and will see the postponement of three more matches previously scheduled on these dates:
A statement from the USL:
"To every USL Championship supporter across the country, we want to thank you for your patience and understanding during these extraordinary circumstances. As always, your safety, health and wellness are our top priority. We will continue to monitor ongoing events, receive guidance from local, state and national health authorities, and participate in a national task force comprised of other professional sports leagues and organizations from around the country. We also want to extend our support and best wishes to all the individuals and communities who have been impacted by COVID-19."
We look forward to being back in action again soon.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 18, 2020
- USL Extends League Play Suspension to May 10 - Loudoun United FC
- Suspended Games Ticket Policy - Charlotte Independence
- USL Suspension in Play Extended Until May 10 - Louisville City FC
- USL Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Season - New Mexico United
- USL Championship Updates Timeline for Return to Play - FC Tulsa
- North Carolina FC Statement on Extended Suspension of USL Championship Season - North Carolina FC
- USL Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Season - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Riverhounds SC Season Suspension Extended Through May 10 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Suspends 2020 Season Through May 10 - Indy Eleven
- Statement from the Rio Grande Valley FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- USL Announces Extension to Temporary Suspension of Competition - Reno 1868 FC
- Usl Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Play Through May 10 - OKC Energy FC
- USL Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Season - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- United Takes away Win at Colorado Springs in Return to Play
- New Mexico United Loans Ben Beaury to Reno 1868 FC for 2020 Season
- New Mexico United Announces Full Return-To-Play Schedule
- USL Championship Announces Opening Weekend Schedule
- Somos Unidos Foundation Announces Diversity Fellowship Program