USL Championship Suspends 2020 Season Through May 10
TAMPA/INDIANAPOLIS - The United Soccer League announced today, following approval from the USL Championship's Board of Governors, that the previously announced 30-day temporary suspension of play in the Championship will be extended to align with recent guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on restricting public gatherings of 50 or more people through Sunday, May 10.
During the temporary hiatus, the United Soccer League will continue to monitor ongoing events, receive guidance from local, state and national health authorities, and participate in a national task force comprised of other professional sports leagues and organizations from around the country.
"Indy Eleven and the United Soccer League are committed to putting the safety and health of our players, staff and fans above all else, so following the guidelines set by public health officials in these unique times is of paramount importance," said Greg Stremlaw, Indy Eleven President and CEO. "Our organization continues to work daily to ensure our gameday environment will be as special and as safe as ever when we return to action. While we look forward to getting back to our season, in the meantime we are focused on finding ways in which we can have a positive impact in the lives of our supporters, partners and community."
The suspension of play will now affect, at a minimum, nine dates on Indy Eleven's 2020 regular season calendar, including four home games at Lucas Oil Stadium:
Saturday, March 14 at Sporting Kansas City II
Saturday, March 21 at Saint Louis FC
Friday, March 27 at New York Red Bulls II
Saturday, April 4 vs. Louisville City FC
Sunday, April 12 at Philadelphia Union II
Wednesday, April 15 vs. Loudoun United FC
Saturday, April 18 at Charlotte Independence
Monday, May 4 vs. Hartford Athletic
Friday, May 8 vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies
This would put Indy Eleven's potential return to the field on Wednesday, May 13, at Atlanta United 2. Indy Eleven's first home match is now scheduled to take place on Saturday, May 23, versus North Carolina FC (7:00 p.m. ET kickoff).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 18, 2020
- USL Extends League Play Suspension to May 10 - Loudoun United FC
- Suspended Games Ticket Policy - Charlotte Independence
- USL Suspension in Play Extended Until May 10 - Louisville City FC
- USL Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Season - New Mexico United
- USL Championship Updates Timeline for Return to Play - FC Tulsa
- North Carolina FC Statement on Extended Suspension of USL Championship Season - North Carolina FC
- USL Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Season - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Riverhounds SC Season Suspension Extended Through May 10 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Suspends 2020 Season Through May 10 - Indy Eleven
- Statement from the Rio Grande Valley FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- USL Announces Extension to Temporary Suspension of Competition - Reno 1868 FC
- Usl Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Play Through May 10 - OKC Energy FC
- USL Championship Extends Temporary Suspension of Season - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Eleven Stories
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven vs. Saint Louis FC
- Indy Eleven Teams with WISH-TV, MyINDY-TV 23 for 14 Regular Season Broadcasts
- Indy Eleven 2020 Regular Season Schedule Set
- Indy Eleven to Restart 2020 Season at Home Next Saturday, July 11
- Indy Eleven Learns Trio of Regional Group Foes for 2020 Season