United Sign Antonio Bustamante to a Homegrown Contract
United have signed former William & Mary standout and D.C. United Academy product, Antonio Bustamante, as the 10th Homegrown Signing in club history. The 21-year-old midfielder joins Chris Durkin, Bill Hamid and Jalen Robinson on the list of Homegrown players on the current Black-and-Red roster.
"Antonio is a promising young player and we are proud to add another Homegrown signing to our roster," Dave Kasper, United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "He had an excellent four years at the college level, and Antonio is now ready for the next step in his career. We look forward to integrating him into our group this preseason."
Born in Fairfax, Va., Bustamante joined the D.C. United academy in 2012 and spent three years representing the Black-and-Red at the youth level before departing for William & Mary in 2015. Bustamante spent time training with the D.C. United first team throughout his collegiate career.
"We are thrilled for Antonio as he makes the impressive jump from the academy up to the D.C. United first team," Ryan Martin, United Academy Director, said. "He was a national standout during his four years at William & Mary and used his time at the collegiate level to continue maturing and developing as a player. He has all the tools to succeed at the next level and we're looking forward to producing more players of his quality in our academy."
Bustamante played four seasons at The College of William & Mary, scoring 34 goals and recording 17 assists in 68 appearances for The Tribe. His junior year in 2017 was his most prolific season, scoring 15 goals in 21 appearances. His 15 goals ranked him as the fourth top scorer in the country at the collegiate level on the way to earning him the CAA Player of the Year title.
Bustamante lives in Springfield, Va., and is the son of Jose Bustamante and Ebony Johnson.
2015 CAA All-Rookie Team
2016 & 2017 Two-time CAA First-Team All-CAA
2016 & 2017 Two-time First-Team All-Midwest Region
2017 CAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player
2017 CAA Player of the Year
2017 VaSID State Player of the Year
2017 Top Drawer Soccer Best XI First Team
Player: Antonio Bustamante
Birthplace: Fairfax, Va.
Country: United States
Previous Club: The College of William & Mary
Transaction: D.C. United have signed Antonio Bustamante as the 10th Homegrown player in club history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2019
- First Day of Preseason Brings New Culture, New Faces - Orlando City SC
- Whitecaps FC Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule Including Camps in Hawaii and California - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Announces 2019 Preseason Schedule - Los Angeles FC
- United Sign Antonio Bustamante to a Homegrown Contract - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Red Bulls Set Preseason Camp Roster - New York Red Bulls
- Abe Valbuena Set to Compete in eMLS League Series One on Tuesday - Orlando City SC
- LyesMTL in Los Angeles for eMLS League Series One - Montreal Impact
- FC Cincinnati's 2019 Promotional Schedule Announced - FC Cincinnati
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target
- D.C. United Fall to Real Betis 5-2 in a Friendly at Audi Field
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month
- The Ligue de Football Professionnel Announce That the EA Ligue 1 Games Will be Played at Audi Field
- D.C. United Downed In Houston, 2-1