United acquire Venezuelan National Team midfielder JÃºnior Moreno
WASHINGTON - D.C. United signed Venezuelan international midfielder Júnior Moreno on a permanent transfer from Venezuelan top tier side Zulia FC pending receipt of his P1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.
At only 24, Moreno earned the role of captain at Zulia FC and his club performances earned him a call-up to the Venezuelan National Team. After making his debut on June 3, 2017 against the U.S. Men's National Team, Moreno went on to play in five of Venezuela's remaining seven games in 2017 including three 2018 CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying games.
"Júnior has established himself in the Venezuelan National Team because of his physical presence and ability to connect the game in the midfield," Dave Kasper, United general manager, said. "He is adept at reading the game, making quick transitions on both sides of the ball, and he will provide us with tactical flexibility with his ability to play both holding and central box-to-box midfield positions. Júnior is arriving at a great age with international experience in both World Cup qualification and the Copa Libertadores, and we look forward to his future with our club."
Moreno made his debut with the Venezuelan National Team in a 1-1 draw with the USMNT in an international friendly on June 3, 2017. The midfielder provided the assist for José Manuel Velázquez in the 29th minute of the game to give the Venezuelans a 1-0 lead at Rio Tinto Stadium. Moreno went on to earn five caps for La Vinotinto in 2017 and scored his first goal for his country in a 1-1 draw with Ecuador on June 9. In the 2018 CONMEBOL World Cup qualification campaign, he started and played 90 minutes in the 1-1 draw against Argentina on Sept. 6 and the 0-0 draw with Uruguay on Oct. 5. He also came off the bench as a substitute in the 1-0 win over Paraguay on Oct. 11.
In 2012, Moreno made his professional debut for Asociación Civil Deportivo Lara before moving to Zulia FC in 2015 where he scored three goals and recorded three assists in 64 appearances in the top tier of Venezuelan soccer. Moreno helped lead Zulia FC to their first Copa Venezuela victory in club history in 2016 by beating Estudiantes de Caracas 2-0 on aggregate over two legs. He was born into a soccer family with his Argentine father Carlos Horacio Moreno being a former professional player and current coach for Portuguesa FC in Venezuela. His brothers Marcelo Moreno and Carlos Moreno both play in the top tier of Venezuelan soccer with Zamora FC and Zulia FC, respectively.
Player: Júnior Moreno
Birthplace: San Cristóbal, Venezuela
Previous Club: Zulia FC (Venezuela)
Transaction: United acquire Venezuelan central midfielder Júnior Moreno from Zulia FC on permanent transfer pending receipt of his P1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 3, 2018
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Ashley Cole - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Utah Royals FC Sign Iceland National Team MR Gunnhildur Jonsdottir - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Homegrown Midfielder Brandon Servania - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls acquire Carlos Rivas and Tommy Redding from Orlando City SC - New York Red Bulls
- United acquire Venezuelan National Team midfielder JÃºnior Moreno - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Signs Defender Reto Ziegler - FC Dallas
- Timbers Acquire Central Defender Julio Cascante - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- United Acquire $150,000 TAM from Columbus for Patrick Mullins
- United Sign English Premier League Legend Wayne Rooney
- United Hire Rodrigo Robles as Director of South American Scouting
- United Defender Taylor Kemp Sidelined for the Remainder of the Season
- United Eliminated from Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in Round of 16