Unbeaten Generals Snap Spirit Three-Game Winning Streak
Oshawa, ON. - The Western Conference-leading Saginaw Spirit faced-off against the Eastern Conference-leading Oshawa Generals on Sunday evening at the Tribute Communities Centre in Oshawa, Ontario. Despite two power play goals from New York Islanders prospect Cole Coskey, the unbeaten Generals stopped the Spirit winning streak at three games, in a 4-3 final score.
With a 4-3 score, the Spirit fell to 4-3-1-0 on the season, while the Generals improve to 7-0-0-0.
This was the first time since last season that the two teams met up, with the second match set for Jan. 4, 2020 at The Dow Event Center.
The Spirit got on the board first when Cole Coskey, who had his six-game point streak snapped Friday in Erie, scored on the power play. The right-handed Coskey set up for a one-timer at the left wing circle, set up by Ilya Solovyov and Cole Perfetti.
The Spirit outshot the Generals 19-7 in the opening frame, but led by just one goal thanks to the strong goaltending of Port Huron, Michigan native Andrew MacLean.
Only 1:43 into the second period, the Generals Brett Neumann gained control of the puck. He shot and scored for their first goal of the game for the Generals, which tied the two teams 1-1.
Around the halfway mark in the second, captain and Minnesota Wild Draft pick Damien Giroux gained control of a loose puck at the top of the circles that came off of D.J. Busdeker's skate. A slap-shot to the net put the Spirit ahead once again 2-1 with a short-handed goal, the third of the season of the shorthanded variety for the Spirit.
With penalties called on Spirit Roberto Mancini, the Generals Nico Gross found the puck and shot past the glove of Lennox, which tied the game at two apiece.
Florida Panthers second round pick Serron Noel took over in the third period. His first of two goals in the frame but Generals up 3-2 at 3:26 of the third period.
11:07 into the third, Philadelphia Flyers draft pick Mason Millman received a four-minute penalty for high-sticking, resulting in a Spirit penalty kill. Less than a minute after the penalty was called, Noel gained control over the puck again and notched his third goal of the season and second of the game, which widened the gap to 4-2.
With a little over three minutes left in regulation, Lennox was pulled from the net. The Spirit fought hard to keep the puck out of their zone but was faced with a couple of close calls. With 19 seconds remaining, Coskey scored his second power play goal of the game in same fashion as his first, with a one-timed shot from the left cirecle.
Unable to find the back of the net once again before the buzzer went off, the Spirit fell to the still undefeated Generals for their seventh consecutive win.
Applebee's Three Stars of the Game:
Serron Noel (OSH) 2G
Andrew MacLean (OSH) 35SV
Kyle MacLean (OSH) 0PTS
Fans can catch all the action on the flagship WSGW Newsradio 100.5 FM and www.wsgw.com with the voice of Saginaw Spirit hockey Joey Battaino on the call. "Countdown to Faceoff" begins 15 minutes prior to puck drop.
Fans can visit the Buffalo Wild Wings location at 2690 Tittabawassee Road in Saginaw and join the official "Watch Party" for all Spirit away games. Admission is free of charge.
Saginaw returns home Wednesday, October 9 to take on the Peterborough Petes for the first of two meetings this season. Puck drop is at 7:05 p.m. from the Wendler Arena inside The Dow Event Center.
To purchase tickets to any Spirit home game call (989) 497-7747, visit www.saginawspirit.com, or visit the Saginaw Spirit Store at 5789 State Street, Saginaw, MI.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2019
- Unbeaten Generals Snap Spirit Three-Game Winning Streak - Saginaw Spirit
- Sting Fall Short against the Storm - Sarnia Sting
- Generals Show Tenacity in Seventh Straight Win - Oshawa Generals
- Steelheads Win Back-To-Back - Mississauga Steelheads
- Bertuzzi & Roy's Heroics Lead Bulldogs To Dramatic Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hoelscher and Quinn Collect Three Points Each in 67's 4-3 Loss to Kitchener - Ottawa 67's
- Jacob Ingham Stops 35 in a Rangers Win over the 67s, 4-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- Game Preview: Generals Looking to Extend Season Opening Win Streak to 7 against Saginaw Spirit at 6:05pm - Oshawa Generals
- Preview: Western Conference-Leading Spirit Meet Eastern Conference-Leading Generals Sunday - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saginaw Spirit Stories
- Spirit Sweep the Spits with Overtime Victory Saturday Night
- Spirit Host Spitfires for Light the Night Presented by Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Spirit Ground Spitfires in Wild 6-5 Victory
- Spirit, Spitfires Open Home-And-Home Series Friday in Windsor
- Spirit Short-Staffed, Fall to 'Birds 5-3; Take First Regulation Loss in Flint Since 2016