Steelheads Win Back-To-Back
Mississauga, ON - The Mississauga Steelheads took on the Windsor Spitfires at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre Sunday afternoon in a back and forth game.
The Spitfires opened the scored on the powerplay as Tyler Angle took a wrist shot from the faceoff circle that snuck past Steelheads goaltender Kai Edmonds. Later in the frame it was Thomas Harley who led an odd-man rush and fired a shot inside the far post to quickly tie the game at one. Windsor would answer back minutes later, as a breakout pass from Dylan Robinson found Kyle McDonald for a breakaway, who made no mistake. At the end of the first period, the Spitfires led the Steelheads by a score of 2-1.
A minute into the second period James Hardie sniped a wrist shot under the crossbar, which tied the game at two. The Steelheads went on back to back powerplays and had numerous chances to score, but the door was shut by Spitfires goaltender Kiro Piiroinen. Mississauga's powerplay then capitalized on their third opportunity of the period on a tic-tac-toe passing play finished by Cole Schwindt to give the Fish their first lead of the game. Windsor would answer back quickly as Cole Purboo found Egor Afanasyev on a quick pass in front of the Steelheads net. With seconds remaining in the period, a streaking Nick Isaacson would draw a hooking penalty to set Mississauga up with a powerplay heading into the third.
The Fish couldn't put one past the Spitefire's netminder on the man advantage and Kai Edmonds made some huge pad saves to rob Curtis Douglas and keep the game tied to start the third. After another Windsor penalty, the Steelheads capitalized as Hardie picked up a rebound on a low shot from Nicholas Canade and made no mistake in tucking it home to put the Steelheads up by one with just over ten minutes to play. The Steelheads would ultimately hold onto the lead defeat the Spitfires by a score of 4-3.
Forward James Hardie registered two goals in the game to help the Steelheads complete an undefeated weekend. In addition, NHL draft picks Thomas Harley (1 goal, 1 assist) and Cole Schwindt (1 goal, 1 assist) registered multi-point games.
Steelheads Head Coach and General Manager James Richmond said the following after the game "Del Mastro might not be on the official stat sheet, but he's on our stat sheet in terms of how many plays he breaks up, how quickly he's able to transfer something against us into something for us. He was a beast out there for us. He was real good."
1st STAR - James Hardie (2 G, 5 SOG)
2nd STAR - Cole Schwindt (1 G, 1 A)
3RD STAR - Egor Afanasyev (1 G)
D'Amico - Foudy - Afanasyev
Cuylle - Angle - Boka
Douglas - Playfair - Purboo
Zito - Johnston - McDonald
Stevenson - Corcoran
Robinson - Rafkin
Henault - Ladd
Isaacson - Washkurak - Canade
Whittaker - Schwindt - Hardie
Portokalis - Prueter - Varga
Christner - DelBelBelluz - Dodig
Ham - Harley
Del Mastro - Bjorgvik Holm
Penman - Davis
The Steelheads will head to Ottawa on Friday before returning to the Paramount Fine Foods Centre for a game against the Sudbury Wolves on Sunday, October 13th. Tickets can be purchased by visiting the Box Office or by calling 905-502-9100.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 6, 2019
- Unbeaten Generals Snap Spirit Three-Game Winning Streak - Saginaw Spirit
- Sting Fall Short against the Storm - Sarnia Sting
- Generals Show Tenacity in Seventh Straight Win - Oshawa Generals
- Steelheads Win Back-To-Back - Mississauga Steelheads
- Bertuzzi & Roy's Heroics Lead Bulldogs To Dramatic Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hoelscher and Quinn Collect Three Points Each in 67's 4-3 Loss to Kitchener - Ottawa 67's
- Jacob Ingham Stops 35 in a Rangers Win over the 67s, 4-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- Game Preview: Generals Looking to Extend Season Opening Win Streak to 7 against Saginaw Spirit at 6:05pm - Oshawa Generals
- Preview: Western Conference-Leading Spirit Meet Eastern Conference-Leading Generals Sunday - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga Steelheads Stories
- Harley Invited to National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp
- Steelheads Sharp in Overtime Loss
- Steelheads March on Generals
- Steelheads Fall to Storm in School Day Game
- Looking to Bounce Back