Two-Run Eighth Inning Gives Augusta the Win, Series over Myrtle Beach
With the game remaining tied for a majority of the afternoon, the GreenJackets plated two runs with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning to win 4-2 over the Pelicans on Sunday afternoon in the series finale. The win gives Augusta the series win by grabbing four of the six games. Myrtle Beach drops to 17-18 on the season, while Augusta improves to a 17-19 record.
Determined to be a bullpen day, the Pelicans received a dominating performance from reliever Joe Nahas out of the bullpen, with just two hits allowed through four innings and a career-high nine strikeouts. Bailey Reid (1-2) took the loss after giving up the go-ahead runs in the eighth inning.
For the fourth game in a row, Myrtle Beach had a home run as it was Pablo Aliendo (1-4, HR, RBI) hitting his first of the season. Ryan Reynolds (1-2, 3B, RBI) also posted a solid performance with Matt Mervis (1-4, 2B) collecting an extra-base hit. As a team, the Birds only totaled four hits in the defeat.
On the other side, the GreenJackets knocked 12 base hits with only four runs to show for it. Four players posted multi-hit games, with Cade Bunnell (2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, R) delivering the final blow with a two-run single in the eighth inning. Landon Stephens (2-4, 3B, RBI) also smashed an extra-base hit in the victory.
The win went to Justin Yeager (4-0), his second of the series. Of his four wins on the year, three have come against Myrtle Beach. Yeager threw the final 1.1 innings with no runs allowed, one hit, and two strikeouts. Darius Vines started the game, going six innings with one earned run off two hits and eight strikeouts.
The GreenJackets scored in the opening frame for the fourth time in the six-game series. Bunnell led it off with a double to left field off Pelicans' starter Jose Miguel Gonzalez. The next two batters were retired, but Bunnell was hit home on a Willie Carter single up the middle to give Augusta an early 1-0 lead.
Myrtle Beach came right back in the top of the second with a run of their own. After the first two batters struck out, Luis Verdugo drew a walk to get on base. Reynolds followed with a triple to deep center field, his third of the season. Verdugo came home to score and even the game at one.
Both teams would stay quiet until the seventh inning, with Nahas and Vines dominating on the mound for both teams. The Pelicans took the lead after Alec Barger came out of the bullpen to replace Vines. Aliendo was the first batter he faced, and the Pelicans' catcher took him deep to left field for a solo home run, his first of the season.
Augusta responded in their half of the seventh. With two outs in the inning, Vaughn Grissom hit a double to left field and came home to score one batter later on Stephens' triple to tie the game at two.
Augusta took charge in the eighth inning with two go-ahead runs that put the home team in the lead. Pelicans' reliever Gabriel Jaramillo struck out the first two batters of the inning then was replaced by Reid. Victor De Hoyos and Cody Birdsong both singled off Reid to put the pressure on. After Connor Blair drew a walk to load the bases, Bunnell singled through the hole at second base to bring home two runs and give the GreenJackets a 4-2 lead.
The Pelicans brought the tying run to the plate after Mervis doubled to lead off the ninth, but the following three batters were retired to end the game.
The Birds will return home for a six-game series with the Charleston RiverDogs, with the first game coming on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from June 13, 2021
- 'Birds Offense Stalls in Sunday Loss to 'Cats - Delmarva Shorebirds
- FredNats Blanked in Salem Finale - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Woodpeckers Lose Early Lead, Dropping Series to Wood Ducks - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Two-Run Eighth Inning Gives Augusta the Win, Series over Myrtle Beach - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Kannapolis Comes up Short in Sunday Afternoon Battle with Mudcats - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Englert Fans Nine as Wood Ducks Take Finale in Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bunnell's big hit earns Jackets first series victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies and RiverDogs Games Postponed Sunday - Columbia Fireflies
- Sunday Doubleheader Postponed Due to Wet Field Conditions - Charleston RiverDogs
- Valerio Accounts for Four Runs in 6-2 Road Finale Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - at Fayetteville - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes at Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Valerio Leads Carolina to Losing Streak Snapping Victory - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.