Tucker Leads Vipers to Western Conference Championship
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers defeated the Santa Cruz Warriors, 144-125, on Tuesday night in the Western Conference Final to claim the title and earn a trip to the NBA G League Finals behind Dakarai Tucker's 29-point performance.
In a very tightly contested first quarter, the Santa Cruz Warriors pushed ahead of the Vipers, 38-32, 16 of those points coming from the bench for the Warriors. For Rio Grande, Houston Rockets two-way player Vincent Edwards led the offensive charge with six points.
A completely different scene unfolded at Bert Ogden Arena in the second quarter as the Vipers turned it around and went into the locker boasting a 75-59 lead behind a tremendous effort by Tucker, who drained five 3-pointers en route to 19 first half points. Gary Payton ll was the second highest scorer for Rio Grande with 11 points, four assists.
For Santa Cruz, Kendrick Nunn scored 13 points to help pad the deficit. He was closely followed by Golden State Warriors assignee Jacob Evans who tallied 10 points, one assist before heading to the break.
After three quarters of play, there were five Vipers in the double digits as Tucker grew his point total to 24 to continue leading the scoring effort. Michael Frazier had 17 points after three, including four baskets from beyond the arc.
The fourth quarter rolled around, and the Rio Grande Valley Vipers found themselves hoisting the Western Conference Championship trophy as they closed out the game with a 144-125 victory. Payton ll locked in a triple-double as he scored 20 points, 12 rebounds and 10 steals. Frazier totaled 24 points, four assists on the night.
Tucker was able to rack up 28 total points, four rebounds, three assists. Houston Rockets assignee Isaiah Hartenstein scored yet another double-double as he tallied 14 points, 14 rebounds for the Vipers.
For Santa Cruz, Nunn ended with 29 points to lead all scorers, he added on seven rebounds and five assists. Evans helped the Warriors with 13 points to close out his line. Damion Lee totaled 12 points, six rebounds, six assists.
Next up for the Vipers is a visit to Long Island for the NBA G League Finals. Game 1 of the best-of-three series will be on Sunday, April 7 at 6:00 p.m. CST. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 3, 2019
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Delaware Blue Coats' Norvel Pelle Named to 2018-19 NBA G League All-Defensive Team - Delaware Blue Coats
- Hartenstein and Payton II Selected to All-NBA G Leauge Team, All-Defensive Team - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Lakeland Magic Forward Amile Jefferson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team - Lakeland Magic
- Windy City Bulls Guard Walter Lemon Jr. Named to All-NBA G League Second Team - Windy City Bulls
- Kalin Lucas Receives All-NBA G League Honors - Grand Rapids Drive
- McRae and Chiozza Named to All-NBA G League Teams - Capital City Go-Go
- P.J. Dozier Named to All-NBA G League Team - Maine Red Claws
- Austin Spurs Center Amida Brimah Named to 2018-19 NBA G League All-Defensive Team - Austin Spurs
- Allen Named to 2018-19 All NBA G League Defensive Team - Westchester Knicks
- Agua Caliente Clippers' Angel Delgado & Johnathan Motley Earn All-G League Honors - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Alan Williams and Theo Pinson Receive All-NBA G League Honors - Long Island Nets
- Two-Way Players Maten, Robinson Selected to All-NBA G League Teams, All-Rookie Team - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- MVP and Defensive Player of the Year Chris Boucher Headlines 2018-19 All-NBA G League First Team and All-Defensive Team - G League
- Tucker Leads Vipers to Western Conference Championship - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Conclude 2018-19 Season with Defeat to Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 144-125 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.