Triple-Double from Xavier Rathan-Mayes Not Enough as Westchester
PORTLAND, ME - The Westchester Knicks (21-11), the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, were unable to go two-for-two against the Maine Red Claws (14-14), falling 97-92 despite a triple-double performance from Xavier Rathan-Mayes.
Finishing with 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists, Rathan-Mayes recorded his third triple-double of the season, which is also Westchester's third all-time. Knicks Two-Way player Luke Kornet supplied 20 points with seven rebounds, his fellow Two-Way player Isaiah Hicks contributing eight points with 10 rebounds and 5 blocked shots. On assignment from the New York Knicks, Damyean Dotson added 13 points with four rebounds.
Red Claws center Guerschon Yabusele nabbed a double-double of 25 points and 10 rebounds, guard Kadeem Allen recording his own of 17 points and 10 rebounds. On assignment from the Boston Celtics, Abdel Nader fell just short, finishing with 20 points and nine rebounds. Anthony Bennett chipped in 16 points with five rebounds, and Daniel Dixon supplied 11 points with seven rebounds.
Each team opened up the game with a three, but the Red Claws then took off on a 16-6 run before Westchester's Luke Kornet, who provided 13 of the Knicks' 32 points in the quarter, sank another shot from the arc. The visitors came alive, using a 12-3 run of its own to turn the tides in its favor. Maine's Yabusele tied it back up with yet another three, but the Knicks answered back with two layups in a row and went into the second quarter up by one. Westchester opened a up a 10-point lead in the second, but Maine fought back with a 22-7 run. Not to be outdone, the Knicks battled its way back and the teams left knotted at 54 at the half.
Maine controlled the lead for the majority of the third quarter, taking a seven-point lead on three occasions. But three Knicks buckets in a row just under the three-minute mark tied things back up and Westchester held a one-point advantage heading into the fourth. The teams battled back-and-forth through the first eight minutes of the final quarter, neither team leading by more than four, until Yabusele nailed a three to go up by five with 4:35 on the clock. Though Rathan-Mayes closed it to a one-possession game with a well-timed layup, the effort fell short as the Red Claws closed with two free throws to take the game 97-92.
About the Westchester Knicks: The NBA Gatorade League's Westchester Knicks basketball team, the official affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, is part of The Madison Square Garden Company. The Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York's Madison Square Garden, The Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, CA; The Chicago Theatre; and the Wang Theatre in Boston. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA), the New York Rangers (NHL) and the New York Liberty (WNBA); two development league teams -- the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and one of the leading North American esports organizations, Counter Logic Gaming. In addition, the Company features the popular original production - the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes - and through Boston Calling Events, produces outdoor festivals, including New England's preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Bighorns Get Sixth Straight Win - Reno Bighorns
- San Antonio Recalls Brandon Paul and Derrick White from Austin - Austin Spurs
- Legends Strike Vipers - Texas Legends
- Balanced Spurs Fend off Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- CHARGE COME UP SHORT TO SKYFORCE. - Canton Charge
- Triple-Double from Xavier Rathan-Mayes Not Enough as Westchester - Westchester Knicks
- Yabusele, Nader Lead Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- San Antonio Assigns Brandon Paul and Derrick White to Austin - Austin Spurs
- LEGENDS TAKE THE WHEEL... - Texas Legends
- BIGHORNS DEFEAT THE BLUE TO NOTCH FIFTH STRAIGHT WIN! - Reno Bighorns
- Vipers Fall in Nail-Biter against South Bay - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Biggie's Buzzer Beater Bests BayHawks - Canton Charge
- NBC Sports Boston to Air Five Maine Red Claws Games in 2018 - Maine Red Claws
- Bighorns to Host Legacy Night to Honor Bill and Eric Musselman - Reno Bighorns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Westchester Knicks Stories
- Westchester Knicks Eliminated from Playoff Contention with Loss to Reigning Champion Raptors 905
- Mike Miller Named NBA G League Coach of the Year
- Nigel Hayes Returns to Westchester Knicks
- Westchester Knicks to Host 2018 NBA G League Conference Semifinals as Top Seed in Eastern Conference on April 2
- Knicks Fall, but Clinch Eastern Conference Title