Trio of Sockers Named to the MASL Team of the Week
SAN DIEGO (Thursday - MR #17-24) - The Major Arena Soccer League (MASL) announced that San Diego Sockers Kraig Chiles, Brandon Escoto, and Chris Toth were named to the Team for the final week of the regular season. Matt Clare and Raymundo Contreras were placed on the Honorable Mention List. The MASL Team of the Week is selected using the Stars awarded at each game and by soliciting nominations from each team. Players nominated by teams were each awarded three points, and stars were awarded 3 points (1st Star), 2 points (2nd star) and 1 Point (3rd star) respectively.
The Sockers who were honored are:
Kraig Chiles (San Diego Sockers) - The Sockers legend showed he is ready for the postseason to begin. In two games Chiles scored four goals and two assists.
Brandon Escoto (San Diego Sockers) - The Sockers, who had long-ago clinched their postseason position, hosted the El Paso Coyotes, winners of four of their last five games, on Saturday. Brandon Escoto scored a goal and two assists as he and his Sockers looked to already be in playoff form.
Chris Toth (San Diego Sockers) - The Sockers goalkeepers have made a combined seven appearances on the MASL Team of the Week this season, with Toth now making his fifth appearance. Against the El Paso Coyotes, Toth earned a week's best .813 save percentage by making 13 saves and only allowing only three goals.
The remaining players who garnered recognition are:
UZI Tayou (Soles de Sonora) - Uzi Tayou makes his first appearance on the Team of the Week by helping his team to victory in their final warm-up before the playoffs. Tayou scored a goal and an assist as Soles finished their regular season with a win over their Mexican rivals.
Raphael Cox (Tacoma Stars) - The Tacoma Stars did not need to win on Friday against the Kansas City Comets to secure their postseason berth, but that didn't seem to matter to Raphael Cox. The veteran midfielder scored twice in the second half to help send the game into overtime, then only needed a minute of the extra period to finish his hat trick and secure the win.
Franck Tayou (Soles de Sonora) - Tayou set a new single-season scoring record (71) with four goals against the Monterrey Flash. He added two assists as well to finish the night with six points.
Andrew Coughlin (Syracuse Silver Knights), Mark Saxby (Kansas City Comets), Raymundo Contreras (San Diego Sockers), Bryan Perez (Kansas City Comets), Christian Gutierrez (El Paso Coyotes), Matt Clare (San Diego Sockers), Leo Gibson (Kansas City Comets), Bo Jelovac (Syracuse Silver Knights), Nick Perera (Tacoma Stars)
San Diego will play the Tacoma Stars tonight in Game One of the MASL Divisional Championship Series in Kent, Washington. Game Two and a possible 15-minute Mini-Game will be held at Valley View Casino Center on Saturday, March 10, 7:05 p.m. Tickets for only $20 and $10 are on sale now at Sockers.com/Playoff with FREE parking. The first 2,000 fans will receive a FREE Playoff Rally Towel. In addition, it is a $2 Bud Light Night for fans 21 and older.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from March 8, 2018
- Comeback Falls Short as Blast Prevails over Silver Knights - Syracuse Silver Knights
- Blast Defeat Syracuse 7-6; Take Game One of Eastern Division Final - Baltimore Blast
- Wave Ready for Round One of the MASL Playoffs Saturday and Sunday - Milwaukee Wave
- Trio of Sockers Named to the MASL Team of the Week - San Diego Sockers
- Tropics Raise over $1100 for American Heart Association Through Specialty Jersey Auction - Florida Tropics SC
- MASL Names Team of the Week for Week Nineteen - MASL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- Western Conference Final Match Preview - San Diego vs. Monterrey
- Toth Named as All-MASL First Team Goalkeeper
- Chiles and Sosa Named to All-MASL Second Team; Pardo Makes Third Team
- MASL Releases Conference Final Schedule; Sockers Play Sunday in Monterrey
- San Diego Wins Mini-Game Easily 6-2 to Advance to Conference Final