Trey Burke Signs with New York Knicks
WHITE PLAINS, NY, - The New York Knicks announced earlier today that the team signed guard Trey Burke. Burke was called up from the Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks.
He joins Langston Galloway (called up to the New York Knicks on Jan. 7, 2015), Thanasis Antetokounmpo (called up to the New York Knicks on Jan. 29, 2016), Jimmer Fredette (called up to the New Orleans Pelicans on Nov. 10, 2015 and to the New York Knicks on Feb. 22, 2016), and Chasson Randle (called up to the Philadelphia 76ers on Jan. 10, 2017 and to the New York Knicks on Feb. 27, 2017) as the fifth player in the Westchester Knicks' history to sign with an NBA team.
Burke (6-1, 190) joined Westchester as an affiliate player after signing with the New York Knicks on Oct. 11, 2017.
He was the team's leading scorer in 17 of his 26 games for Westchester, averaging a team-high 26.6 points along with 5.4 assists, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.92 steals over 37.0 minutes per game and a shooting percentage of .488. Prior to his call-up, Burke was the second-leading scorer in the NBA G League.
Burke was named the NBA G League Player of the Month, a first for Westchester, for games played in December after being named the league's Player of the Week consecutively for games played Monday, Dec. 4 though Sunday, Dec. 10 and Monday, Dec. 11 through Sunday, Dec. 17. Earlier this season, he broke Westchester's all-time scoring record in the team's third game of the season with a 43-point performance at Delaware on Nov. 7.
Burke averaged 10.6 points and 3.6 assists over 24.8 minutes in 267 career games with Utah and Washington from 2013 through 2017. The Columbus, OH native was originally drafted by Minnesota out of the University of Michigan with the ninth overall selection in the 2013 NBA Draft and named to the 2013-14 NBA All-Rookie First Team as a member of the Jazz. Last season, Burke appeared in 57 games for the Wizards to average 5.0 points and 1.8 assists over 12.3 minutes.
About the Westchester Knicks: The NBA Gatorade League's Westchester Knicks basketball team, the official affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, is part of The Madison Square Garden Company. The Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 15, 2018
- Trey Burke Signs with New York Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Detroit Pistons Sign Guard Dwight Buycks - Grand Rapids Drive
- Johnathan Motley Named All-NBA G League Showcase First Team - Texas Legends
- Bighorns Escape 87ers to Close Showcase - Reno Bighorns
- Legends Guard Kyle Collinsworth Signs with Dallas Mavericks - Texas Legends
- DRIVE SPEED PAST WOLVES TO SHOWCASE WIN - Grand Rapids Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Westchester Knicks Stories
- Westchester Knicks Eliminated from Playoff Contention with Loss to Reigning Champion Raptors 905
- Mike Miller Named NBA G League Coach of the Year
- Nigel Hayes Returns to Westchester Knicks
- Westchester Knicks to Host 2018 NBA G League Conference Semifinals as Top Seed in Eastern Conference on April 2
- Knicks Fall, but Clinch Eastern Conference Title