Travs Win 5th in a Row
Springfield, MO - The Arkansas Travelers won their fifth consecutive game defeating the Springfield Cardinals 7-5 on Friday night. Arkansas scored seven runs off Springfield starter Dalton Roach including four solo homers in building a six run lead by the fifth inning. The Cardinals made a game of it coming back late getting to within two on back-to-back homers in the seventh inning before the Travs bullpen shut them down. Steven Moyers threw a perfect eighth inning and Ray Kerr got them in order in the ninth for his second save. Brandon Williamson earned his first Double-A win pitching 5.2 innings and giving up just two runs on eight hits.
Moments That Mattered
* Joe Rizzo came up clutch hitting a two out bases clearing double in the opening inning to stake the Travs to the early lead.
* Jack Larsen hit the first pitch of the third inning for a solo homer and two batters later Jake Scheiner added another solo shot. Dom Thompson-Williams then hit the first pitch of the fourth inning for a solo homer.
Notable Travs Performances
* LF Zach DeLoach: 3-5, 2 runs, 2B, HR, RBI
* RF Dom Thompson-Williams: 2-4, run, 2B, HR, RBI
News and Notes
* Larsen homered for the third consecutive game and was playing in only his fourth game with Arkansas.
* The Cardinals homers in the seventh were the first two allowed this year by Nick Duron in 24 innings.
The Travs look to get it going on Saturday night with right-hander Devin Sweet (2-5, 5.78) on the mound against lefty Kevin McGovern (1-1, 5.15). First pitch is at 6:05 and the game will be broadcast on AM 920 the Sports Animal, the First Pitch App and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from July 30, 2021
- After Two Blown Saves, Missions Beat Amarillo in 11 InningsÃÂ - San Antonio Missions
- The Great Escape(s); 'Hounds Win in Extras - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Fall Victim to Another Late Rally - Tulsa Drillers
- Naturals Mash Three More Homers in 9-1 Win over Wichita - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Baker Homers Twice in 7-5 Cardinals Loss to Travelers - Springfield Cardinals
- Travs Win 5th in a Row - Arkansas Travelers
- Surge Fall Second for Straight Time to Naturals - Wichita Wind Surge
- Pitching, Stowers Power Riders in Victory over Hooks - Frisco RoughRiders
- Riders Overpower Hooks for 5-4 Loss - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tulsa Turnaround; 'Hounds Win, 8-5 - Midland RockHounds
- Cox Deals Six Shutout Innings and Offense Explodes in 12-1 Win over Wichita - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Travs Smash Five Homers, Drop 11 Runs on Cardinals - Arkansas Travelers
- Missions Score 10 Runs, Collect 16 Hits in Thursday Night VictoryÃÂ - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.