Travs Snap Slide with Key Win at Wichita
Wichita, KS - The Arkansas Travelers snapped a three game slide and kept postseason hopes alive with a 5-3 win on Saturday night over the Wichita Wind Surge. George Kirby pitched 5.2 shutout innings, striking out six while allowing just two hits and two walks. He was rewarded with his first victory in six Double-A starts. Devin Sweet recorded the final two outs with the tying runs on base to close it out. Zach DeLoach had two hits and Jake Scheiner drove in three runs after entering in the as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning. Jose Caballero also hit his first home run.
Moments That Mattered
* Caballero lined a solo home run to left field in the fifth inning putting the Travs up 2-0.
* Scheiner delivered a pinch-hit two run double in the sixth inning pushing the lead out to four.
* Sweet entered with one on and one out in the ninth and walked the first batter he faced. He then got Aaron Whitefield on a fly ball to shallow center and struck out pinch-hitter Andrew Bechtold to end the game.
Notable Travs Performances
* PH-DH Jake Scheiner: 1-1, 2B, SF, 3 RBI
* RHP George Kirby: Win, 5.2 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 6 K
News and Notes
* Scheiner and Joe Rizzo are now tied for the team lead in runs batted in with one game left.
* Arkansas remains 0.5 games behind Frisco for the final spot in next week's championship series after the RoughRiders won at Amarillo. For the Travs to make the postseason, they will need to win on Sunday and have Frisco lose.
The regular season wraps up on Sunday afternoon with a 1:05 first pitch in Wichita. The game will be broadcast on AM 920 the Sports Animal, the First Pitch App and milb.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from September 18, 2021
- Nelson Fans Nine in Loss to Frisco Saturday Night - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Riders Win, Playoff Berth to Come Down to Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Travs Snap Slide with Key Win at Wichita - Arkansas Travelers
- Surge Comeback Attempt Comes up Short in Game Five - Wichita Wind Surge
- Naturals Overcome Five-Run Deficit But Fall to Cardinals in Extras - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers in Must Win Situation Following Loss - Tulsa Drillers
- Travs Drop Third Straight - Arkansas Travelers
- Storybook Finish for Jared as Hounds Roll, 10-4 - Midland RockHounds
- Frisco Drops Game against Amarillo, Playoff Race Heats Up - Frisco RoughRiders
- Late Long Balls Snare Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- A 7th Inning Homer from Michael Curry Carries the Missions Past the Hooks - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.