Storybook Finish for Jared as Hounds Roll, 10-4
The RockHounds defeated the Tulsa Drillers, 10-4, Friday night at Momentum Bank Ballpark and while it was an outstanding "team effort," one storyline leads all the rest.
Jared Koenig, in his final start of the 2021 season, pitched seven innings and allowed one run on four hits, with two walks and seven strikeouts to earn the win.
The left-hander, who pitched in four independent leagues and as far away as New Zealand (the Australian Baseball League) before signing with the Oakland A's, closed his first season in the affiliated minors with a storybook finish.
By allowing just one run over seven innings, Koenig took over the earned run average lead in the Double-A Central (see "Kibbles & Bits," below).
_And, when struck out the last batter he faced in the game, Hamlet Marte, it was his 100_**_th_** strikeout of the season.
The RockHounds backed Koenig with both bats and gloves, building a 7-0 lead after four innings with production from throughout the lineup. Leading the way were ...
- Jhonny Santos reached base in each of four trips to the plate, going 2-for-2, with a three-run home run
- Max Schuemann went 4-for-5, scored twice, drove in two more runs, and stole his 49th base of the year (High-A and AA, combined)
- Chase Calabuig went 2-for-5 with a two-run home run and finished with a game-high four RBI
Santos also had an outfield assist and made a tremendous running catch in deep right-center ... and Calabuig's glove may have saved the earned run average title for Jared Koenig (also see "Kibbles & Bits").
The RockHounds evened the series at 2-2 and moved back to within a game of .500 (58-59) with Saturday and Sunday games remaining.
Kibbles & Bits
_Jared Koenig now leads the Double-A Central with a 3.26 earned run average. _
Northwest Arkansas' Jon Heasley is second (3.33) and is the only pitcher with a statistical chance to catch Jared. Heasley is not listed on the Naturals' active roster at this time ... so it's a "wait and see" as to whether or not he pitches this weekend.
Chase Calabuig ended the sixth inning with a tremendous, sliding catch in shallow left field. The web gem kept a second Tulsa run from scoring and saved, at least for now, the ERA title.
Had the run scored, Jared's ERA would have been 3.337 ... rounded up to 3.34 (one one-hundredth behind Heasley).
Next Game: Saturday, September 18
RockHounds vs. Tulsa Drillers
Fifth of a six-game series and of a six-game homestand
First Pitch at 7:00
*Postgame FIREWORKS! *
Sponsored by Water Tech & H E B
TUL Landon Knack (RH, 2-1, 5.30)
RH Jack Cushing (RH, 0-4, 4.95)
The Final Weekend of the 2021 Season at Rocky Town!
The RockHounds host the Tulsa Drillers Saturday evening (7:00) and Sunday afternoon (2:00) at Momentum Bank Ballpark.
Saturday night fireworks and Fan Appreciation Day / Family Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from September 18, 2021
- Nelson Fans Nine in Loss to Frisco Saturday Night - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Riders Win, Playoff Berth to Come Down to Finale - Frisco RoughRiders
- Travs Snap Slide with Key Win at Wichita - Arkansas Travelers
- Surge Comeback Attempt Comes up Short in Game Five - Wichita Wind Surge
- Naturals Overcome Five-Run Deficit But Fall to Cardinals in Extras - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers in Must Win Situation Following Loss - Tulsa Drillers
- Travs Drop Third Straight - Arkansas Travelers
- Storybook Finish for Jared as Hounds Roll, 10-4 - Midland RockHounds
- Frisco Drops Game against Amarillo, Playoff Race Heats Up - Frisco RoughRiders
- Late Long Balls Snare Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- A 7th Inning Homer from Michael Curry Carries the Missions Past the Hooks - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.