Toronto FC Sign U.S. International Omar Gonzalez
Toronto FC announced today that the club has used the first allocation ranking to sign U.S. international defender Omar Gonzalez using TAM (Targeted Allocation Money). Subject to Gonzalez passing a medical, and the receipt of his international transfer certificate, he will be added to the roster on July 9 when the transfer window re-opens.
"Omar has won numerous championships and has played on the biggest stage in world football. He is an experienced defender with over 200 appearances in MLS, including 25 playoff matches where he won five trophies in seven years," said Toronto FC General Manager Ali Curtis. "His experience as a player but equally as important, who he is as a person will be a welcomed addition to our group here in Toronto."
Gonzalez, 30, joins Toronto FC from Fútbol Club Atlas (Atlas) of Liga MX, where he was in his first season with the club, having made 36 appearances with two goals. Gonzalez began his professional career after being selected third overall by LA Galaxy in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. In seven seasons with the Galaxy, Gonzalez made 223 combined appearances (MLS, MLS Cup Playoffs, U.S. Open Cup, Concacaf Champions League) with 17 goals and 13 assists. With the Galaxy, he won three MLS Cups (2011, 2012, 2014), two MLS Supporters' Shields (2010, 2011), was named to the MLS Best XI four times (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014) along with MLS Defender of the Year (2011) and MLS Rookie of the Year (2009). In December 2015, Gonzalez was sold and signed with C.F. Pachuca (Pachuca) of Liga MX. With Pachuca, he made 87 combined appearances with three goals and four assists. Gonzalez won three trophies with Pachuca including, the Clausura Liga MX championship (2016), 2016 Liga MX championship and the 2016-17 Concacaf Champions League. He later joined Atlas in July 2018.
Gonzalez has earned 49 caps for the U.S. Men's National team. He was part of the U.S. 2013 and 2017 Concacaf Gold Cup winning sides; and the roster for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. His most recent cap came on March 27, 2019 in a 1-1 friendly match against Chile. Gonzalez was recently named to the preliminary U.S. squad for the upcoming 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.
TRANSACTION: Toronto FC has used the first allocation ranking to sign U.S. international defender Omar Gonzalez using TAM (Targeted Allocation Money).
Weight: 205 lbs
Birthdate: October 11, 1988 (Age - 30)
Birth Place: Dallas, TX
Last Club: Fútbol Club Atlas (Atlas)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 3, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 3, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ten Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United to Play the Philadelphia Union on June 12 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake MF Albert Rusnak Called in to Slovakian National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Toronto FC Sign U.S. International Omar Gonzalez - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati to Lead Queen City's Support of the FIFA Women's World Cup - FC Cincinnati
- Dynamo Defender A.J. DeLaGarza Named to Guam National Team - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati, Allegiant Announce Cornerstone Partnership - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, New England Revolution 2 - Sunday, June 2, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Revolution Defeat LA Galaxy, 2-1 - New England Revolution
Other Recent Toronto FC Stories
- University Campus of Football Business to Open Study Hub at Toronto FC's BMO Field
- Montreal Impact (0) - Toronto FC (2) Post Game Summary
- Toronto FC Acquire Patrick Mullins from Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Sign Venezuelan Winger Erickson Gallardo
- Toronto FC (1) - D.C. United (1) Post Game Summary