TIMBERS WEEKLY UPDATE
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers will play their second consecutive home match this weekend, playing host to Cascadia-rival Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Providence Park on Saturday, April 22. Set to begin at 1 p.m. (Pacific), Saturday's match will be broadcast live on KPTV FOX 12 with local radio broadcasts on 750 AM/102.9 FM The Game (English) and La GranD 1150 AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Saturday's fixture marks the 88th meeting between Portland (4-2-1, 13pts) and Vancouver across all eras (since 1975), with the Timbers leading the MLS regular-season series 7-4-6, including a 4-1-4 mark at Providence Park. At home, the Timbers are unbeaten in the last four matches played against Whitecaps FC. In their only home game against Vancouver in 2016, the Timbers took a 4-2 win on May 22, 2016, with four different players scoring for Portland in the win against their Cascadia rival.
Saturday's game also marks the first of three regular-season meetings between the two teams this season, and the first of two games at Providence Park this season. Going into Saturday's match, the Timbers rank tied for the second-most home wins (14) in MLS, dating back to the 2016 campaign. Additionally, the Timbers have scored the most home goals over the past two seasons, finishing 45 times at Providence Park, including 10 goals in four home games in 2017.
Whitecaps FC (2-3-1, 7pts) enter Saturday's game with two wins in their last three games, coming off a 2-1 win against Seattle Sounders FC in the opening Cascadia Cup match of the 2017 MLS campaign on April 14. On the road this season, Vancouver is 0-2-0 away from BC Place, with the team falling 3-0 to Real Salt Lake on April 8 and 3-2 against the San Jose Earthquakes on March 11. After scoring a brace in the win against Seattle, forward Fredy Montero leads the team in goals scored with three finishes, while five different players have recorded an assist for Whitecaps FC so far this season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 20, 2017
- TIMBERS WEEKLY UPDATE - Portland Timbers
- Numbers and Words: Fire Kick off Three-Match - Chicago Fire
- Whitecaps FC Mourn the Passing of Bob Rosenlund - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Reyna Stands in Solidarity with Native Peru During "Difficult Time for the Country" - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Cropper's "Big-Time Save Helps Revs Keep Another Clean Sheet in Draw with San Jose - New England Revolution
- Revolution Play Earthquakes to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- A Valuable Road Point Earned vs. New England - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.