Timbers Acquire Designated Player Diego Valeri
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has acquired Argentine midfielder Diego Valeri as a Designated Player, and he will join Portland on loan from Argentine first-division side Club Atlético LanÃºs. He will be added to the Timbers' roster pending the receipt of his P-1 visa and International Transfer Certificate (ITC). Per league and club policy, terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Valeri, 26, has played nine seasons with LanÃºs (2003-09; 2011-12), featuring in 158 matches and recording 25 goals in Argentina's Primera DivisiÃ"n, and recently served as the club's captain. He helped LanÃºs to its first Primera DivisiÃ"n title in 2007. Additionally, he spent one season with FC Porto of Portugal in 2009-10 and also had a loan spell with Spain's UD AlmerÃ-a during the 2010-11 La Liga campaign. Valeri has three caps with the Argentina National Team.
"Valeri is a tremendous acquisition and his desire to join the Portland Timbers was an integral part in getting him on loan," said Timbers general manager Gavin Wilkinson. "At his age and with his ability, we expect to be in a position to purchase this player and make him a permanent fixture in Portland."
"Diego Valeri is certainly a tremendous addition to the Timbers and will bring quality and creativity to our attack," said Caleb Porter, head coach of the Timbers. "We expect he will be one of the better playmakers in the league, but more importantly Diego fits our identity and his play should boost production to help the club win games."
Since returning to LanÃºs from AlmerÃ-a in 2011, Valeri tallied 13 goals in 62 league games over the last three Primera DivisiÃ"n seasons and led the club to a second-place finish in the 2011-12 Clausura tournament. He also played in eight games and scored a goal during the 2012 Copa Libertadores, helping the club reach the Round of 16 - its best finish in the tournament.
"I have been responsible for bringing approximately 70 players to the league and without doubt Diego Valeri is one of the best players I have placed in MLS," said Alejandro Taraciuk, president of FÃºtbol One.
A native of LanÃºs, Argentina, Valeri made his debut with the Argentina National Team on March 16, 2011, in a 4-1 win over Venezuela, and appeared in two other friendlies for Argentina in 2011.
"I am very happy and this, for me, is a beautiful opportunity," Valeri said. "I always wanted to play in MLS. I'm grateful that the Portland Timbers have given me this chance."
Coming up through the development system of LanÃºs, Valeri made his professional debut with his hometown club at the age of 18 on Sept. 27, 2003. He had a breakout 2007-08 season, recording eight goals in 26 matches as LanÃºs finished the Apertura tournament in first place with a record of 11-3-5 (38pts).
With FC Porto during the 2009-10 season, Valeri appeared in 12 Portuguese La Liga matches, contributing to a third-place finish in the league standings. He also played in two 2009-10 UEFA Champions League fixtures as FC Porto reached the tournament's Round of 16. Valeri played nine matches in Spain's top flight with AlmerÃ-a while on loan during the 2010-11 season.
Valeri has competed in prestigious South American club tournaments the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana a combined five times. Twice Valeri has helped LanÃºs reach the Round of 16 in the Copa Libertadores (2008, 2012) and aided in a quarterfinal appearance in the 2006 Copa Sudamericana.
Valeri will occupy an international slot on the Timbers roster.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2013
- FC Dallas Launches Phase Three of Get in and Win Season Ticket Program - FC Dallas
- FC Dallas Signs Peruvian National Team Goalkeeper RaÃºl FernÃ¡ndez - FC Dallas
- Crew Announces Corporate Partnership Renewal with JD Equipment - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Finalize 2013 Preseason Plans - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Jovan Kirovski Named Technical Director - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Kansas City, Kansas to Host 2013 MLS All-Star Game - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Designated Player Diego Valeri - Portland Timbers
- MLS Adds Two Players to 2013 Generation adidas Class - MLS
- Dynamo Announce 2013 Season Ticket Packages - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Signs Barson to Homegrown Contract - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Midfielders Andy Polo, David Guzman Called up for Intern Ational Matches
- Timbers Fall 4-0 to New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena
- Timbers Weekly Update
- Timbers Fall to La Galaxy 2-1 at Stubhub Center
- Timbers Acquire $100,000 General Allocation Money, 2019 International Spot from D.C. United