Thunder Pull Away from Cutthroats in the Third, 6-3
WICHITA, Kan. - A three-goal third period was the difference on Saturday night as the Wichita Thunder pulled away from the Denver Cutthroats in a 6-3 final in front of 5,505 in attendance at Intrust Bank Arena.
Matt Robinson at 12:27, Ian Lowe at 16:22, and Neil Trimm with six seconds remaining on an empty net were the three Wichita (28-15-6) goal scorers to snap a 3-3 tie when the period began.
Brad Smyth, Mikael Bedard and Luke Fulghum each scored goals for the Cutthroats (25-20-6), who split the weekend home-and-home series staying six points back of the Thunder for third place in the Central Hockey League. Bedard (goal, assist), Fulghum (goal assist), and Gabe Gauthier (two assists) each finished with two-point nights for the Fish.
Michael DiLorenzo took his first loss for Denver, stopping 32 of 37 shots. Torrie Jung earned the win with 17 saves.
Both teams traded goals in the first period for a 2-2 score as Trimm opened up the scoring at 3:53 before Smyth responded for Denver at 10:03 for his 22nd of the season. Bedard then added his third goal in the last two games since joining the Cutthroats less than a minute after Smyth's with an extra attacker on the ice. RG Flath knotted the game for Wichita with 8:43 remaining in the frame from the left circle.
Fulghum put Denver in front, 3-2, in the second with a one-timer from the slot off Bedard's centering feed from behind the net. Chad Painchaud tallied a power play goal in the final minute of the period from the right circle to keep the score tied at 3-3.
Denver finished 0-for-2 on the power play while the Thunder went 1-for-4.
The Cutthroats return home for a three-game stretch beginning on Monday when they host the Missouri Mavericks in a Presidents' Day battle at 1:30 PM MST at the Denver Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2013
- Americans Escape with 5-3 Victory over Mavericks - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fox's Goal Lifts Brahmas over Oilers in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers Come up Short in OT Loss to Brahmas - Tulsa Oilers
- Trimm's Five-Point Outing Highlights Thunder Victory over Cutthroats - Wichita Thunder
- Blaze Edge Rush 6-4 in Offensive Display - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Pull Away from Cutthroats in the Third, 6-3 - Denver Cutthroats
- Barczuk and Booras Help Blaze Slow Rush - Bloomington Blaze
- Mallards Edge Sundogs in 3-2 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Mallards Edge Arizona 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Schwab's Four-Point Night Leads Denver to 6-2 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Spoils McClelland's 500th Game Coaching - Wichita Thunder
- CHL Sebastien Thinel Becomes Member of 800-Point Club - CHL
- Goaltenders Stand Tall as Rush Clip Mallards in Shootout 3-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Brahmas Fall at Home, 4-2 to Americans - Fort Worth Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster