Thunder Fall to Ponies in Pitching Duel
The Thunder, presented by NJM Insurance, were unable to muster offensive support behind Rony Garcia Saturday night in a 3-1 loss to the Binghamton Rumble Ponies at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Chris Gittens led off the bottom of the second inning with a single and advanced to second on a passed ball. Mandy Alvarez doubled to left field off Mickey Jannis (2-0), but the Thunder (23-15) would not muster another run the rest of the evening.
The knuckleballing Jannis would scatter five hits over seven innings and struck out five en route to receiving the win.
Patrick Mazeika tied the score at 1-1 in the fourth inning for Binghamton (22-15) with a solo home run to right field, his second homer of the series. In the seventh, Braxton Lee hit a wind-blown popup double to the left side of the infield and scored the go-ahead run on a double by Mazeika, chasing starter Rony Garcia (1-3) from the game. Reliever Kaleb Ort then allowed a double to Kevin Kaczmarski, extending the Ponies' lead to 3-1.
The Thunder threatened at the plate in the bottom of the eighth against reliever Ryley Gilliam, as Gosuke Katoh drew a two-out walk and advanced to third on a Ben Ruta double. But Gittens struck out, and the Thunder were unable to produce in the ninth off Gilliam, who notched his first Double-A save.
Garcia struck out six and walked none over six-plus innings, his first quality start in a Thunder uniform, but took the loss after allowing Mazeika's go-ahead hit.
Jorge Saez went 0-for-4, ending his season-high nine-game on-base streak.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. against the Rumble Ponies. RHP Albert Abreu (1-2, 4.13) will start for the Thunder, while the Rumble Ponies have yet to announce their starting pitcher. The first 1,000 kids ages 5 to 13 will receive a Miguel Andujar Replica Jersey, presented by Penn Medicine - CHOP. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Taylor Homers and Baez Sharp, but Sens Fall 8-2 - Harrisburg Senators
- Offense Erupts in 12-1 Series-Clinching Win - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Fall to Ponies in Pitching Duel - Trenton Thunder
- Hill Homers on Saturday in Bowie - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Quiet RubberDucks, 5-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Fightin Phils move to five games over for first time with their third straight win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Battery Mates Marvel, Pabst Spark Win over Senators - Altoona Curve
- Tendler Provides Lone Run, 'Dogs Fall 4-1 at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Goats Nearly 'Purr-Fect' against Cats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 18th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- Philadelphia and New York Police Departments Meet to Play Baseball at ARM & HAMMER Park on Saturday, August 3
- Late Curve Rally Thwarts Thunder, 6-5
- Abreu Sparkles as Thunder Rally for 4-2 Win
- Slick Glove Work Secures 4-3 Win over Altoona
- Rony Garcia, Matt Lipka Earn Eastern League Weekly Awards