Threshers Complete Sweep with Second Consecutive Shutout over Mets
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The Clearwater Threshers rode their pitchers to a second consecutive shutout over the St. Lucie Mets, using a 5-0 whitewash to complete the three-game series sweep at First Data Field. The Threshers remain atop the Wild Card standings by one game over the Daytona Tortugas heading into the weekend.
Clearwater (64-65, 28-35) struck early against Luc Rennie (7-7), grabbing two runs in the opening frame to jump out to the quick advantage.
Jhailyn Ortiz drew a four-pitch walk to start the night, and scored two batters later on Raul Rivas' triple to center for the 1-0 edge. The runner scored from third on a passed ball during Luke Miller's at-bat to extend the lead to two.
The offense used Ben Aklinski's lead-off double to its advantage in the second frame, as the Kentucky product scored on Rivas' two-out single to center for the three-run cushion.
Miller singled and scored in the seventh on Matt Vierling's RBI single. The Indiana product launched a solo home run to ninth to cap off the scoring. The Indiana product finished the series with five hits, including two doubles and a round-tripper.
James McArthur (2-1) took the lead and held St. Lucie (67-60, 35-26) off the board through 5.2 innings on the night. The 6-foot-7 hurler set down scattered six hits and walked a man, and set down six batters on strikes to help lead to his second win of the season.
The 22-year-old has not allowed a run over his last two starts, holding opponents to nine hits over his last 10.2 stanzas.
Michael Gomez relieved McArthur with a runner on and two outs in the sixth and walked the first two batters he faced before inducing a ground out to third by Manny Rodriguez.
Zach Warren retired all six batters faced through the final two innings to lock down the sweep.
Clearwater finished the 2019 season 9-4 against St. Lucie, and swept the Mets twice at First Data Field.
The Threshers head out to Port Charlotte to take on the Charlotte Stone Crabs for a three-game series beginning Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. It has yet to be announced who will take the mound for either side. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m., with coverage beginning at 6:15 p.m. with Threshers Live! The Pregame Show.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Threshers Complete Sweep with Second Consecutive Shutout over Mets - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Start Strong, Sweep Stone Crabs - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Miracle Sweep Stone Crabs with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Toss Another Shutout, Beat Mets 5-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- 'Tugas Erase Seven-Run Deficit, Down D-Jays in Marathon - Daytona Tortugas
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Thu, Aug 22 at Fort Myers - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Tarnok Tremendous in Tough Loss to Tampa, 3-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Taps & Tacos Thursday, August 29th - Clearwater Threshers
- Marauders Celebrate Final Homestand of 2019 Season - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.