Miracle Start Strong, Sweep Stone Crabs
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Miracle scored three runs in the first inning and never looked back in a 5-2 victory over the Charlotte Stone Crabs on Thursday night at Hammond Stadium, completing a three-game sweep.
Charlotte starter Drew Strotman walked three of the first four batters of the game and all came around to score. He faced six batters and only recorded one out before being lifted from the game. Trey Cabbage put the Miracle on the board with a two-run single. Andrew Bechtold also delivered an RBI single. Cabbage and Bechtold each finished 2-for-4.
Fort Myers added on with single runs in the second and third innings. Yeltsin Encarnacion, who drove in four runs in the series, came through with an RBI double.
Jordan Balazovic started for the Miracle and cruised through the first four innings with seven strikeouts. He retired 12 of the first 13 he faced. In the fifth, however, he issued a leadoff walk to Michael Smith and Garrett Whitley followed with a double. Izzy Wilson put Charlotte on the board with an RBI ground out and Zach Rutherford delivered a sacrifice fly.
An error prevented Balazovic from completing five innings and he departed after four and two-thirds with 74 pitches. He surrendered three hits and walked one. Melvi Acosta (7-4) took over and earned the win with 2.1 scoreless innings. He struck out three.
Yennier Cano tossed the final two innings to pick up his first professional save. He struck out three, including Wander Franco (baseball's top prospect), to end the game.
The Miracle have won four straight at home for the first time this season and nine of their last 12 at Hammond Stadium.
The Miracle play eight games in the next seven days on the road, beginning with the opener of a three-game series against the Palm Beach Cardinals on Friday night at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium. Right-hander Blayne Enlow will come off the Injured List and start for Fort Myers. First pitch is 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 22, 2019
- Threshers Complete Sweep with Second Consecutive Shutout over Mets - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Start Strong, Sweep Stone Crabs - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Miracle Sweep Stone Crabs with 5-2 Win - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Threshers Toss Another Shutout, Beat Mets 5-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- 'Tugas Erase Seven-Run Deficit, Down D-Jays in Marathon - Daytona Tortugas
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Thu, Aug 22 at Fort Myers - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Tarnok Tremendous in Tough Loss to Tampa, 3-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Taps & Tacos Thursday, August 29th - Clearwater Threshers
- Marauders Celebrate Final Homestand of 2019 Season - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Myers Mighty Mussels Stories
- Aaron Sutton Named First Mussels Manager
- Mighty Mussels to Host Ballpark Festival of Beers on January 25
- 'Mighty Mussels' Baseball Team to Debut in Fort Myers
- Zawyer Sports Announces New President, Management Team to Oversee Fort Myers Miracle
- Miracle Announce 2020 Schedule