Thorns FC Weekly Update: July 3, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - After earning a 2-1 win on the road against the Houston Dash, Portland Thorns FC return home to play host to Cascadia rival Reign FC, in a match presented by Toyota, on Friday, July 5, at Providence Park. Beginning at 8 p.m. (Pacific), the match will be broadcast on Yahoo! Sports.
Thorns FC (5-1-3, 19pts) rallied back from a deficit, scoring two goals in a five-minute span in the second half against Houston to earn a 2-1 win at BBVA Stadium on June 29. With the win, Portland improved to 4-1-3 in away matches and extended its unbeaten streak to five matches (3-0-2). During their five-game unbeaten run, Thorns FC have outscored their opponents 7-2, while registering three shutouts.
Spreading the wealth
Portland is tied for the NWSL lead with 19 goals this season from 10 different players. Midge Purce notched her team-leading fifth goal of the season against the Dash and is tied for second in the league in goals. Tyler Lussi recorded her first goal of the 2019 season and added her first assist of the campaign against Houston. Additionally, Ellie Carpenter recorded her first career NWSL assist. In total, nine players have registered an assist for Thorns FC in 2019.
Against Reign FC
Friday's match marks the 21st meeting all-time, including playoffs, between Portland and Reign FC. Thorns FC have a slight lead in the all-time series with a record of 9-8-3, including a mark of 6-3-2 at Providence Park. In 2018, Portland concluded the campaign with a 3-1 win against Reign FC on Sept. 7 in its final regular-season match at Providence Park to secure a home playoff game, and just a week later advanced to the NWSL Championship with a 2-1 win against Reign FC on Sept. 15 in the semifinals.
Up next, Thorns FC play host to the Orlando Pride at Providence Park on Sunday, July 14. Beginning at 12 noon (Pacific), the match will be broadcast on Yahoo! Sports.
Single-game tickets and annual memberships on sale for 2019 season
Single-game tickets for Thorns FC's remaining home matches for the 2019 season at Providence Park are available now.
Fans can purchase tickets for the team's regular-season home matches by calling (888) 983-1783 or online here. Additionally, fans can purchase tickets at the Providence Park box office, which is open Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Pacific), Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Pacific) and will be closed on Sunday-Tuesday, unless it is a matchday at Providence Park.
Group opportunities for Thorns FC matches are available by contacting the ticket office at (503) 553-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional group information can be found here.
Fans interested in purchasing Thorns FC Annual Memberships for the 2019 season are encouraged to call the ticket office at (503) 553-5555 or email email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from July 3, 2019
- Thorns FC Weekly Update: July 3, 2019 - Portland Thorns FC
- Orlando Pride to Host 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Final Watch Party at Lake Eola - Orlando Pride
- Jess Fishlock Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - Reign FC
- NC Courage Host Houston Dash in Independence Day Celebration with Post-Game Fireworks - North Carolina Courage
- Jess Fishlock Voted NWSL Player of the Month - NWSL
- Houston Dash Sign Midfielder Cami Privett to Supplemental Roster - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Thorns FC Stories
- Thorns FC Weekly Update: August 22, 2019
- Thorns FC Register 3-1 Win over Washington Spirit
- Thorns FC Weekly Update: August 15, 2019
- Thorns FC Earn 2-1 Win over North Carolina Courage in Front of Largest Crowd in NWSL History
- Thorns FC Fall 1-0 on the Road to Reign FC