Thinel Scores 100th Point in Odessa's 5-2 Win
HIDALGO, TX - Sebastien Thinel's three-point night put him over the century mark on the season and guided the Odessa Jackalopes to a 5-2 win over the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Thursday at State Farm Arena. With the win, the Jackalopes take over fifth place in the Central Hockey League's Beery Conference and are now one point away from locking up a playoff spot.
Thinel's 100th point came on a first period goal to give the Jackalopes a 2-0 lead and extended his franchise record for points in a single season. He is the first 100-point scorer to ever skate for the Jackalopes.
Mike Mole put together a 40-save night, and the Jacks (27-27-7) held the Bees (24-31-6) scoreless on seven power play chances. Todd Robinson also finished with three assists on the night.
Mike Lesperance opened up the game's scoring from the left circle to give Odessa a 1-0 lead 3:35 into the first period. Thinel's goal extended the Odessa lead.
In period two, Phil Plante tipped home a Thinel centering pass from the right side of the net for a 3-0 score favoring the Jacks. Lesperance found the scoresheet again on a breakaway with three minutes left in the frame for his 99th career point and a 4-0, Odessa lead.
The Bees made a game out of things with two shorthanded goals just over a minute apart in the third period, but Thinel added his second goal of the game on an empty net with 17 seconds to play.
Odessa and Rio Grande Valley wrap up their home-and-home series on Friday back in the Permian Basin. Game time is set for 7:05 PM. A win or overtime/shootout loss by the Jacks, or any kind of loss by the Laredo Bucks, will secure the Jackalopes a playoff spot for the fourth consecutive season.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2011
- Thinel Scores 100th Point in Odessa's 5-2 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Thunder Outlasts Mallards 6-4 - Quad City Mallards
- Bees Score Shorthanded Twice, Fall to Odessa - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Hughes, Schwab Clutch in Road Win - Wichita Thunder
- Late Goal by Surma Gives Gems 2-1 Win Over Evansville - Dayton Gems
- Sundogs Team up with the American Cancer Society for 'Hockey for Hope' on March 26 - Arizona Sundogs
- Mallards Sign Brown, Akins Granted Leave - Quad City Mallards
- Romeo Vivit Earns 'Equipment Manager of the Year' Honors - Rapid City Rush
- Bullock Named CHL Athletic Trainer of the Year - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- CHL Top Athletic Trainer and Equipment Manager Honored - CHL
- Americans Clinch Governors' Cup, Host Tulsa and Rio this Weekend - Allen Americans
- Bucks Continue Trip in Rapid City - Laredo Bucks
- Ulanski, Jones Lead Eagles into Sole Possession of First - Colorado Eagles