Team WHL Captains And Assistants Announced For 2009 Subway Super Series
November 18, 2009 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Calgary, AB. - The Western Hockey League in association with the Canadian Hockey League and SUBWAY(r) today announced the players that will serve as Captains and Assistant Captains for Team WHL in the 2009 SUBWAY(r) Super Series games to be played in Victoria, BC on Wednesday November 25 and in Kelowna on Thursday November 26, 2009.
Regina Pats defenceman Colten Teubert has been named Team WHL captain for game five of the SUBWAY(r) Super Series in Victoria, BC. The 19-year-old from White Rock, BC, is playing his fourth year with the Regina Pats and was a member of Team Canada last season when they captured Gold at the 2009 World Junior Championships. Teubert, who was selected in the 1st round - 13th overall by the Los Angeles Kings at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, is representing Team WHL for the second straight season. Jared Cowen (Spokane Chiefs), Jordan Eberle (Regina Pats) and Brayden Schenn (Brandon Wheat Kings) have been named as the assistant captains for Team WHL for the game in Victoria, BC. Cowen is also the Spokane Chiefs team captain, Schenn shares the captaincy of the Brandon Wheat Kings with Matt Calvert and Eberle serves as one of three assistant captains on the Regina Pats. All three participated in last season's Super Series with Team WHL.
Kelowna Rockets forward Brandon McMillan has been named Team WHL captain for game six of the SUBWAY(r) Super Series in Kelowna, BC. The 19-year-old from Delta, BC is playing his fourth season with the defending WHL Champion Kelowna Rockets. McMillan, who was selected in the 3rd round - 85th overall by the Anaheim Ducks at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, is representing Team WHL for the second straight year. Craig Cunningham (Vancouver Giants), Wacey Hamilton (Medicine Hat Tigers) and Travis Hamonic (Moose Jaw Warriors) have been named as assistant captains for Team WHL for the game in Kelowna, BC. Both Hamilton and Hamonic wear the captains 'C' for their respective Clubs, while Cunningham serves as an assistant captain with the Giants. This is the first time Cunningham and Hamilton have competed with Team WHL, while Hamonic took part in the event last season.
The 2009 SUBWAY(r) Super Series will take place November 16 - 26 and marks the seventh straight year that teams of CHL All-Stars have competed against Team Russia in preparation for the World Junior Hockey Championships. The SUBWAY(r) Super Series is an integral part of the evaluation process prior to Team Canada's final selection camp in December. This season, Canada will be competing for a record sixth straight gold medal at the 2010 tournament in Saskatoon and Regina, SK.
Team WHL will face Team Russia in games five and six of the series on Wednesday, November 25 in Victoria, BC, and on Thursday, November 26 in Kelowna, BC. Game tickets are available at Kelowna's Prospera Place Box Office (250-762-5050) and at Victoria's Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre Box Office (250-220-7777) or visit www.selectyourtickets.com. The first two games of the series are hosted by the QMJHL with the OHL hosting games three and four.
The 2009 SUBWAY(r) Super Series is supported by CHL associate sponsors, Bank of Montreal, NeilMed, and CCM, and will be broadcast nationally on Rogers Sportsnet with the two QMJHL games on RDS.
2009 SUBWAY(r) Super Series Schedule of Games:
Game 1 - Monday November 16 at Drummondville, QC
Game 2 - Wednesday November 18 at Shawinigan, QC
Game 3 - Thursday November 19 at Barrie, ON
Game 4 - Monday November 23 at Windsor, ON
Game 5 - Wednesday November 25 at Victoria, BC
Game 6 - Thursday November 26 at Kelowna, BC
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 18, 2009
- Calgary Hitmen Produce Overtime Win In Moose Jaw - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Continue Ascent Of CHL Rankings - Saskatoon Blades
- Scarlett And Lowry Make Team Pacific - Swift Current Broncos
- Americans Deal Werbowski To Edmonton - Tri-City Americans
- Rattie, Wotherspoon To Play In World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Portland Winterhawks
- Ice Reassign Skrudland - Kootenay Ice
- Cowen Named Alternate Captain For Team WHL - Spokane Chiefs
- Team WHL Captains And Assistants Announced For 2009 Subway Super Series - WHL
- A&W Teddy Bear / Mitten Toss December 11 - Kootenay Ice
- Sutter And Kolppanen Ranked In WHL Fall Preliminary Rankings - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Raiders To Compete Internationally - Prince Albert Raiders
- Calgary Hitmen Announce Game Time Change - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Unveil Plans For Toque Toss Night - Saskatoon Blades
- Five-Goal First Sends Americans Past Seattle 5-3 - Tri-City Americans
- Americans Take Down T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.