Suns Sneak By, Snap 'Birds Streak
HAGERSTOWN, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds saw their six-game winning streak wilt away, falling to the Hagerstown Suns 2-1 on Saturday night at Municipal Stadium.
Ryan Tapani (4-5) finished off 4.1 scoreless out of the bullpen to win it for the Suns (3-7, 33-47), scattering two hits with no walks and four strikeouts. Jhon Peluffo (1-1) took the loss in relief for the Shorebirds (8-2, 56-23), allowing one run on one hit in three frames.
The Suns took an early lead in the bottom of the second. Israel Pineda led off with a single, then Jackson Cluff pounded a double to right center, scoring Pineda to put Hagerstown up 1-0. Justin Connell followed with a single to put men on the corners with nobody out, but Delmarva starter Nick Vespi struck out Kyle Marinconz and got Nic Perkins to ground into an inning-ending double play, limiting the damage.
Seamus Curran got the Shorebirds back into it himself in the fifth, pounding a solo home run over the Delmarva bullpen in right center. The blast was Curran's 13th of the season, matching his total over 85 games in 2018, tying the game at 1-1.
Hagerstown went ahead to stay in the sixth. Cody Wilson led off with a walk, then two batters later Pineda golfed a liner into right center for an RBI double to make it 2-1 Suns. Center fielder Nick Horvath and right fielder Doran Turchin collided on Pineda's line drive, and after a lengthy delay Turchin was carted off the field with a lower body injury.
Delmarva's last rally came in the eighth when Edison Lantigua led off with a double, but the Shorebirds couldn't get him around and went quietly in the ninth, allowing Hagerstown to bring its own seven-game losing streak to an end.
Curran finished 2-for-3 with the solo homer, giving him seven hits in the first three games of the season, including home runs in back-to-back games. Lantigua doubled twice, going 2-for-3.
Pineda led the way at the plate for the Suns, going 2-for-3 with a double, run, and RBI.
Vespi didn't factor into the decision despite an excellent outing for the Shorebirds, allowing one run on four hits over five innings with no walks and seven punchouts. Over his last seven starts Vespi has boasted a 1.49 ERA.
Hagerstown's Reid Schaller exited after a strict pitch count of 70 in his second start of the year. Schaller gave up one run on two hits, walking two and striking out five.
The Shorebirds will try and finish the series and the month of June strong against the Suns on Sunday afternoon. Drew Rom (5-1, 1.46) will start for Delmarva against Hagerstown's Jake Irvin (4-5, 4.95). First pitch is set for 2:05 p.m., and pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 1:50 with Will DeBoer on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 29, 2019
- Drive Fall to Braves on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Two-Out Woes Sting Wheelers in 6-4 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Early Barrage Enough as Dogs Take Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Snap Skid with 2-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Montano Breaks out in Loss to RiverDogs - Asheville Tourists
- Destino's Big Day Gives Kannapolis Second Straight Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Sneak By, Snap 'Birds Streak - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies' Shut-Out Streak Snapped in Battle against Crawdads - Columbia Fireflies
- Early Offense Fuels 4-1 GreenJackets Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 29 vs. Hickory (Game 76) - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Wheelers: Game Notes (June 29) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Shewmake drives in game-winner - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Start of Shorebirds' 2020 Season Delayed
- Single-Game Tickets Available for All 2020 Shorebirds Home Games
- Shorebirds to Host Open House on Monday, March 30
- Scrapple Night, Fireworks, Bobblehead, and More Highlight Single-Game Ticket Release for Homestand #12
- Rutschman Bobblehead, Fireworks, Float for the Fund, and More in Single-Game Tickets for Homestand #11