Suns Snap Skid with 2-1 Win
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Hagerstown utilized an excellent pitching performance from Reid Schaller and Ryan Tapani to beat Delmarva 2-1 at Municipal Stadium Saturday evening.
The Suns (33-47, 3-7) won their first game at home since Kyle Marinconz's walk-off homer in game two of a doubleheader June 11. It also snaps their seven-game losing streak dating back to June 21 against the Rome Braves.
Israel Pineda broke a 1-1 tie, doubling to right-center to score Cody Wilson, who had walked to lead off the sixth. Jhon Peluffo (L, 1-1) was able to strand Pineda and get out of the frame with the score still 2-1.
Schaller had a strong second outing on the bump. He no-hit the Shorebirds through his first four innings on the bump prior to giving up a homer to Seamus Curran to knot the game at one.
After giving up a double, he handed the ball to Ryan Tapani (W, 4-5) who spun out of trouble in the fifth before closing out the game, allowing two hits, but not giving up a run.
Hagerstown started the scoring in the second. Pineda led-off the inning with a single before Jackson Cluff roped a double to center to plate the backstop.
The Suns aim to close out the series against Delmarva tomorrow at 2:05 p.m. at Municipal Stadium. Hagerstown tossed RHP Jake Irvin (4-5, 4.95 ERA), while Delmarva counters with LHP Drew Rom (5-1, 1.46 ERA).
The Suns are in the midst of a seven-game homestand against the Delmarva Shorebirds and the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The stretch includes plenty of promotions, including Sunday Funday and Salute to America. For tickets or more information visit hagerstownsuns.com or call 301-791-6266.
Images from this story
Hagerstown Suns pitcher Ryan Tapani
(Abby Choi/Hagerstown Suns Staff)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 29, 2019
- Drive Fall to Braves on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Two-Out Woes Sting Wheelers in 6-4 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Early Barrage Enough as Dogs Take Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Snap Skid with 2-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Montano Breaks out in Loss to RiverDogs - Asheville Tourists
- Destino's Big Day Gives Kannapolis Second Straight Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Sneak By, Snap 'Birds Streak - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies' Shut-Out Streak Snapped in Battle against Crawdads - Columbia Fireflies
- Early Offense Fuels 4-1 GreenJackets Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 29 vs. Hickory (Game 76) - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Wheelers: Game Notes (June 29) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Shewmake drives in game-winner - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.