Montano Breaks out in Loss to RiverDogs
CHARLESTON - The Asheville Tourists may have found their leadoff man for the remainder of the season. Daniel Montano reached base four times from the leadoff spot and provided a spark for the Tourists offense. The outfielder is hitting .467 from the leadoff spot this year. Unfortunately, Asheville's opponents, the Charleston RiverDogs, knocked off the Tourists 7-4.
Montano opened the scoring with a solo Home Run in the top of the third; his fifth of the season. Charleston plated four in the bottom of the third and added two more in the fourth to take a 6-1 lead. Montano attempted to light a spark in the fifth with a triple in the fifth; however, he was left at third when the inning concluded.
Javier Guevara delivered a sacrifice fly in the sixth to bring the Tourists a bit closer. Montano led off the seventh with a walk, stole second base, and scored on a Niko Decolati triple to right field. The Tourists were back within three.
Charleston plated one on a wild pitch in the bottom of the eighth for their final run of the game. Asheville received a pair of doubles in the ninth from Montano and Grant Lavigne to account for the final tally.
Montano finished 3-for-4 with a double, a triple, a Home Run, and a walk. Decolati added two hits in five trips to the plate. The Tourists received quality pitching from their bullpen. Raymells Rosa and Alexander Martinez each had scoreless appearances.
Asheville has now lost six of their last seven games and 11 of their last 14 overall. The Tourists are a season-worst 16 games under .500. They conclude their road trip on Sunday evening with a chance to salvage a series split with the RiverDogs.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 29, 2019
- Drive Fall to Braves on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Two-Out Woes Sting Wheelers in 6-4 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Early Barrage Enough as Dogs Take Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Snap Skid with 2-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Montano Breaks out in Loss to RiverDogs - Asheville Tourists
- Destino's Big Day Gives Kannapolis Second Straight Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Sneak By, Snap 'Birds Streak - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies' Shut-Out Streak Snapped in Battle against Crawdads - Columbia Fireflies
- Early Offense Fuels 4-1 GreenJackets Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 29 vs. Hickory (Game 76) - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Wheelers: Game Notes (June 29) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Shewmake drives in game-winner - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.