Destino's Big Day Gives Kannapolis Second Straight Victory
CHARLESTON, W.V. - The Kannapolis Intimidators (6-4, 34-44) saw their bats come alive once again and totaled three home runs on Saturday Night to defeat the West Virginia Power (4-6, 41-39) 6-4 for the second night in a row.
Similarly, to Friday Night, Kannapolis got things started with a home run in the top of the first. This time, it was Alex Destino hitting a solo shot (7), and he was just getting started.
Also, just like Friday Night, West Virginia answered in the bottom of the first with two runs. Bobby Honeymandoubled to left to score Ryan Ramiz. Then, David Sheaffer grounded out to score J.R. Davis to put the Power up 2-1.
In the top of the third, Kannapolis had two guys hit home runs, just in a slightly different way. Lenyn Sosa hit his fourth home run of the season, but in inside the park fashion. Alex Destino immediately followed that up with his second home run (8) of the season and put Kannapolis up 3-2.
In the bottom of the fourth, West Virginia took the lead right back. Onil Pena doubled to score Sheaffer to tie things, 3-3. Utah Jones then singled to score Pena and take a 4-3 lead.
Those four innings were the end of Sam Long's day. His final line read as: 4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 K, 2 BB. Wyatt Burns (W, 2-0) came in for relief and pitched three scoreless innings while recording for strikeouts.
In the top of the sixth, Romy Gonzalez doubled to score Johan Cruz and tie the score at 4-4. In the top of the seventh,Bryce Bush hit his team-high tying fifth triple of the season to score Destino, and Johan Cruz single to drive in Bush and put the Intimidators in front 6-4.
There was no scoring the rest of the way as Tyler Watson came in for the final two innings and recorded the save.
The Intimidators will wrap up their series and road trip Sunday afternoon with West Virginia at 2:05 p.m. Davis Martin (4-7, 6.27 ERA) will be on the bump for Kannapolis.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 29, 2019
- Drive Fall to Braves on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Two-Out Woes Sting Wheelers in 6-4 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Early Barrage Enough as Dogs Take Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Snap Skid with 2-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Montano Breaks out in Loss to RiverDogs - Asheville Tourists
- Destino's Big Day Gives Kannapolis Second Straight Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Sneak By, Snap 'Birds Streak - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies' Shut-Out Streak Snapped in Battle against Crawdads - Columbia Fireflies
- Early Offense Fuels 4-1 GreenJackets Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 29 vs. Hickory (Game 76) - Columbia Fireflies
- Charleston Wheelers: Game Notes (June 29) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Shewmake drives in game-winner - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Trio of Cannon Ballers Take Flight
- Cannon Ballers Merchandise Flies off Shelves
- Cannon Ballers Launch New Era of Kannapolis Baseball
- Kannapolis Sets Season Ticket Pricing for 2020
- Kannapolis Baseball Sets Season Ticket Pricing and Welcomes Fans to be a Part from the Start