Suns Score Early and Top Claws 6-1 on Saturday
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Jake Irvin threw five scoreless innings as Hagerstown topped the BlueClaws 6-1 on Saturday night at Municipal Stadium.
The Suns (34-34/64-74) have taken the first two in the series from Lakewood (28-38/57-79).
Irvin (8-8) gave up four hits and fanned eight in earning his eighth win of the season.
The Suns opened the scoring in the first on a two-run double by Nic Perkins. They added three more in the second inning. Armond Upshaw tripled home a run to make it 3-0. Justin Connellhad an RBI single and Drew Mendoza added an RBI double to put the Suns up 5-0.
Lakewood starter Rafi Gonell (4-3) was charged with five runs over two innings and took the loss.
The BlueClaws got their lone run in the ninth on an RBI single from Juan Aparicio.
Luis Garcia, McCarthy Tatum, and Abrahan Gutierrez had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws.
The teams will play the final two games of the season on Sunday and Monday at 2:05 pm each day. Francisco Morales starts Sunday for Lakewood opposite Reid Schaller.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Season Reaches the Brink After Another Blown Lead - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Set Walk-Off Record in 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- 'Birds Walk over K-Town; One Win from Ninety - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets One-Win Away from Clinching Playoff Spot - Augusta GreenJackets
- Early Offense, Strong Pitching Culminates in 6-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Relentless RiverDogs Crank 14 Hits to Down Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pedrol's Quality Start Not Enough in 3-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Suns Score Early and Top Claws 6-1 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 31 at Augusta (Game 134) - Columbia Fireflies
- Simmons' Grand Slam Lifts Intimidators over 'Birds - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Sloppy Defense Sets the Tone in 4-1 Rome Loss - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.