Fireflies Game Notes: August 31 at Augusta (Game 134)
Columbia Fireflies (28-39, 52-81) @ Augusta GreenJackets (38-29, 74-61)
RHP Jose Butto (4-9, 3.52) vs. RHP Kai-Wei Teng (2-0, 1.23 ERA)
Sat., August 31, 2019 - SRP Park (North Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 6:05 p.m. - Game 134
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia is looking to bounce back from a 7-3 loss on Friday to Augusta. Mark Vientos and Guillermo Granadillo each drove in runs. The bullpen also had a scoreless night.
THE COUNTDOWN, 2019: This week, we counted down the top moments at Segra Park in 2019. In case you missed the top moment, take a look below:
1. The Near No-Hitter - June 28, 2019
Columbia carried a no-hitter into the ninth inning on June 28 against Hickory. Thomas Szapucki, Tylor Megill and Billy Oxford allowed just one hit in a brilliant 4-0 shut-out win over the Crawdads. It was Jonathan Ornelas, though, who broke up the no-hit bid with a double with one out in the top of the ninth. Szapucki, in his final start as a Firefly before his promotion to advanced-A St. Lucie, walked just one in his four innings of work and Megill followed that up by walking just one as well in his first four frames of work. Megill came back out for the ninth and struck out Frainyer Chavez before finally yielding the game's first hit. Oxford then came out of the bullpen & retired the next two batters to close out the one-hit shutout.
NEW SERIES, WHO DIS?: Columbia continues its final series of the 2019 season on Saturday against Augusta. The season finale will be on Labor Day. The Fireflies and GreenJackets have played 14 times with Augusta winning eight of the matchups. Remarkably, 13 of the 14 meetings have been decided by three runs or fewer.
BACK AT SRP PARK: The Fireflies make their first visit to SRP Park in North Augusta, South Carolina, since May 16. Columbia took two out of three during the set from May 14-16.
HOT HITTERS IN THE SERIES: In eight games against Augusta this year, Chandler Avant has hit .321. He's been Columbia's best hitter against the GreenJackets this season.
AUGUST LEADERS: Gerson Molina (.297), and Mark Vientso (.290) have the best batting averages in August.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Season Reaches the Brink After Another Blown Lead - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Set Walk-Off Record in 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- 'Birds Walk over K-Town; One Win from Ninety - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets One-Win Away from Clinching Playoff Spot - Augusta GreenJackets
- Early Offense, Strong Pitching Culminates in 6-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Relentless RiverDogs Crank 14 Hits to Down Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pedrol's Quality Start Not Enough in 3-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Suns Score Early and Top Claws 6-1 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 31 at Augusta (Game 134) - Columbia Fireflies
- Simmons' Grand Slam Lifts Intimidators over 'Birds - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Sloppy Defense Sets the Tone in 4-1 Rome Loss - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.