Simmons' Grand Slam Lifts Intimidators over 'Birds
SALISBURY, MD - Using a Cam Simmons grand slam in the sixth inning to score their only runs, the Intimidators took game one of the four-series against the Shorebirds 4-3 Friday night at Perdue Stadium.
Down by three runs in the top of the sixth frame, Lenyn Sosa singled, followed by a Tyler Osik double (9) and Corey Zangari walk to load the bases for Simmons. On the first pitch of his at-bat with Delmarva's starter Ryan Wilson (L, 6-5), Simmons hit his first professional grand slam (3) to left field, leapfrogging Delmarva, 4-3.
Before the Simmons grand slam, Kannapolis' starter Davis Martin (W, 9-9) looked to be cruising through the first three frames, allowing only one batter to reach for the Shorebirds. However, in the fourth, Martin allowed two singles and one triple from Shayne Fontana to score three runs, while also mixing in a wild pitch and balk in the inning.
After gaining the lead in the top of the sixth, Martin fanned three of the five batters that he faced in the bottom of the sixth, giving the ball over to the bullpen with a 4-3 lead.
The Intimidators trotted out Lane Ramsey (H, 3) for the seventh and eighth innings, as the 6-foot-9 right-handed pitcher only allowed one base runner, with that being Adam Hall, who he hit with a pitch. Next out of the bullpen for Kannapolis, Austin Conway (S, 12) used a strikeout, a bunt groundout, and then a flyout off the bat of Hall to Alex Destino in right to end the ball game.
Sosa and Simmons both finished the night with two hits, as seven Kannapolis batters recorded a hit on a 10-hit night for the visiting team.
The Intimidators will send out RHP Jason Bilous (6-9, 3.53 ERA) against the Shorebirds' RHP Hector Guance (8-6, 4.50 ERA) Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. at Perdue Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Season Reaches the Brink After Another Blown Lead - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Set Walk-Off Record in 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- 'Birds Walk over K-Town; One Win from Ninety - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets One-Win Away from Clinching Playoff Spot - Augusta GreenJackets
- Early Offense, Strong Pitching Culminates in 6-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Relentless RiverDogs Crank 14 Hits to Down Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pedrol's Quality Start Not Enough in 3-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Suns Score Early and Top Claws 6-1 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 31 at Augusta (Game 134) - Columbia Fireflies
- Simmons' Grand Slam Lifts Intimidators over 'Birds - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Sloppy Defense Sets the Tone in 4-1 Rome Loss - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Kannapolis Sets Season Ticket Pricing for 2020
- Kannapolis Baseball Sets Season Ticket Pricing and Welcomes Fans to be a Part from the Start
- Kannapolis Baseball Sets Season Ticket Pricing
- Dawkins and Destino Make 2019 SAL Annual All-Star Team
- 19-Year Run as Intimidators Comes to An End on Labor Day in Maryland