Crawdads Set Walk-Off Record in 3-2 Win
Hickory, NC - The Hickory Crawdads broke a franchise record on Saturday night as they defeated the Lexington Legends 3-2 in their twelfth walk-off of the season. The victory sets a Crawdads record for most walk-offs in a season, with the records dating back to 2002.
Lexington pulled ahead 1-0 in the third inning, getting a run off 'Dads starter Abdiel Mendoza. Mendoza finished his evening after five frames, allowing three hits and one base on balls. He lowered his ERA to 3.15 on the year.
The Crawdads scored a pair of runs in the fifth to take a 2-1 lead. Frainyer Chavez hit a bloop single to right with two outs. Jax Biggers singled to advance Chavez to third. Josh Jung followed up with the third consecutive single, this one scoring Chavez. Tyreque Reed's base hit drove in Biggers and put the 'Dads ahead by a run.
The Legends evened the score at two in the top of the sixth.
In the bottom of the ninth, the 'Dads got a run in to win 3-2. Isaias Quiroz led off the inning with a double but was tagged out at first as Chavez reached on a bunt. Biggers singled and moved Chavez into scoring position. Reed came up clutch again, delivering his third walk-off hit of the season as he singled to center.
Bring your dog out to tomorrow's game for Bark in the Park presented by Cody Law Firm and Ren's Dog Den. All dogs get in free. The season may not be over quite yet, but the Crawdads are already seeing 2020 with a New Year's Celebration. It is also Church Bulletin Sunday, bring your church bulletin to the ticket office for a discounted $6 ticket. The 'Dads will then donate $4 from each ticket to that bulletin's respective church courtesy of PDQ. The game will start at 5pm and the gates open at 4pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Season Reaches the Brink After Another Blown Lead - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Set Walk-Off Record in 3-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- 'Birds Walk over K-Town; One Win from Ninety - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets One-Win Away from Clinching Playoff Spot - Augusta GreenJackets
- Early Offense, Strong Pitching Culminates in 6-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Relentless RiverDogs Crank 14 Hits to Down Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pedrol's Quality Start Not Enough in 3-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Suns Score Early and Top Claws 6-1 on Saturday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 31 at Augusta (Game 134) - Columbia Fireflies
- Simmons' Grand Slam Lifts Intimidators over 'Birds - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Sloppy Defense Sets the Tone in 4-1 Rome Loss - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.