Storm Continue Their Winning Ways at Home to Keep Pace in First Place
LAKE ELSINORE, Calif - For the second night in a row Inland Empire's Orlando Martinez led off the game with a home run, and for the second consecutive game the Lake Elsinore Storm rallied for a three-run victory, as the Padres' affiliate prevailed 6-3 on Friday at The Diamond.
Storm RHP Reiss Knehr, is his fifth outing and third start, won his first California League game with the help of four relievers, including LHP Fred Schlichtholz, who entered the game in the ninth with two outs and the bases loaded. With the potential go-ahead run at the plate, the former Fresno State star from Chula Vista, CA induced a line out to left fielder Jack Suwinski to earn his first save of 2019.
Knehr struck out six in five innings, walking three and allowing five base hits. The bullpen struck out five over four shutout innings in preserving the win for Knehr, the Glen Head, NY native who was drafted last year in the 20th round out of Fordham University.
After Martinez' leadoff home run gave the 66ers the early advantage, but a two-out, two-RBI double off the right field scoreboard by Storm 2B Eguy Rosario put the home team in front, 2-1. In the second, after IE had tied the game, LF Jack Suwinski slugged a two-run home run (5th) off the right-centerfield video board for what turned out to be the game winning hit as the Storm regained the lead, 4-2. In the bottom of the sixth, DH Esteury Ruiz and CF Jeisson Rosario contributed RBI singles to make it 6-3 Storm, and the bullpen posted zeros the rest of the way.
The Storm share first place with Lancaster in the South Division with a 2-0 record in the second half and improved their overall mark to 37-33.
RHP Reiss Knehr: First California League win
LHP Fred Schlichtholz: First California League save
3B Allen Cordoba: 3-4, one run, one stolen base (9-11 on the season)
LF Jack Suwinski: 2-4, one home run (5th), one double (11th), two RBI (23)
2B Eguy Rosario: 1-4, one double (10th, third of the series), two RBI (21)
WP: Reiss Knehr (1-1)
LP: Denny Brady (3-7)
Save: Schlichtholz (1)
HR: LE: Suwinski (5th, two-run, B2) | IE: Martinez (2nd, solo, T1)
On a Star Wars themed Saturday night, the Storm are looking to match their season-best four game winning streak in Game 3 of 4 against Inland Empire as RHP Luis Patino will be opposed by 66ers' RHP Cooper Criswell at 6:00pm in Lake Elsinore. On Sunday, and all remaining Sunday games at The Diamond, first pitch is set for 5:00pm. On Monday, the Storm will start a three-game series versus the Dodgers' affiliate, Rancho Cucamonga. For the best available seats buy online at stormbaseball.com or call 951-245-4487.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Storm Continue Their Winning Ways at Home to Keep Pace in First Place - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Rawhide Walk It off for the Second Night in a Row - Visalia Rawhide
- Casey Homers Twice in Friday Night's Loss - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Ports Outlast Giants, Win 8-7 - Stockton Ports
- Late Comeback Foiled by Walk-Off Single - Modesto Nuts
- El Viento Win Over Los Temblores Friday - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake Elsinore Storm Stories
- Storm Stay One Game up in Wild Card Race on Campusano's Walk-Off Home Run
- Campusano and Gore Headline Storm 2019 All-Stars
- Greatest Comeback in Franchise History as Storm Score 10 Runs in the Ninth, Win 14-13 in 10 Innings
- Storm Move into a Three-Way Tie for First Place with 8-3 Road Win Versus 66ers
- Storm Topple the Giants, 8-7, in 14 Innings to Move Within a Half Game of First Place