Late Comeback Foiled by Walk-Off Single
VISALIA, CA. - With a 4-3 loss to the Visalia Rawhide, the Modesto Nuts suffered their second straight walk-off loss to start the second half at Recreation Park on Friday night.
Cole Stapler made a strong start for the Rawhide (46-22; 2-0) tossing six shutout innings before the Nuts (30-42; 0-2) were able to start their comeback.
Cal Raleigh started the seventh inning with a solo home run, his team-best ninth of the year. That was Stapler's last inning as he threw seven frames allowing just the one run with seven strikeouts.
In the eighth, Johnny Adams connected on a solo home run with one out to make it a one-run game. After Connor Kopach walked and stole second, Raleigh drove in his second run of the game with a single to tie it up.
In the ninth, Kyle Wilcox (L, 2-2) surrendered a lead-off triple. After striking out Tim Susnara on eight pitches, Jorge Perez lined the game-winning single into right-center.
Austin Hutchison started the game and recorded his third consecutive quality start. He struck out six over six innings with two walks. He allowed three runs, but only two of them were earned.
In relief, Breckin Williams (W, 3-0) earned the victory by retiring the final four he faced.
The Nuts continue their four-game series with the Rawhide on Saturday night. First pitch is at 7:00 p.m. Coverage on ModestoNuts.com will start at 6:50 p.m. Listen live online on your phone, tablet or PC.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Storm Continue Their Winning Ways at Home to Keep Pace in First Place - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Rawhide Walk It off for the Second Night in a Row - Visalia Rawhide
- Casey Homers Twice in Friday Night's Loss - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Ports Outlast Giants, Win 8-7 - Stockton Ports
- Late Comeback Foiled by Walk-Off Single - Modesto Nuts
- El Viento Win Over Los Temblores Friday - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.