Stewart Again Named WNBA Western Conference Player of the Week
SEATTLEÂ - Seattle Storm forwardÂ Breanna StewartÂ has been once again named WNBA Western Conference Player of the Week the league announced Monday. It is the second time this season and the eighth career honor for Stewart, who also was recognized with the award after week of the year.
Stewart averaged 18.3 points, 10.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game while shooting 51.4% from the field to help lead the Storm to three road wins last week. She was instrumental in helping Seattle defeat Connecticut in a battle of the WNBA's top teams on Sunday, scoring 22 points and adding nine rebounds, five assists and three steals. Stewart connected on 8-of-15 from the field (53.3%) including a season-high four from three-point range.
Stewart recorded her fifth double-double of the season in the Storm's second game in Atlanta, scoring 18 points while pulling down a season-high 13 rebounds. That came on the heels of a 15-point, 9-rebound performance in the first game against the Dream on Wednesday.
Stewart ranks third in the WNBA in scoring (21.2 ppg), first in defensive rebounds (8.5 drpg), third in total rebounds (9.6 rpg), and sixth in blocks (1.6 bpg).
This is Stewart's eighth Player of the Week honor, and second consecutive after bracketing 2020 with Player of the Week wins in the first and final weeks of the season. She is only the third player in WNBA history to win the first Player of the Week honors in consecutive seasons, alongsideÂ Candace ParkerÂ (2012, 2013) andÂ Elena Delle DonneÂ (2014, 2015).
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from June 14, 2021
- Stewart Again Named WNBA Western Conference Player of the Week - Seattle Storm
- Minnesota Lynx Injury Updates - Minnesota Lynx
- Connecticut Sun Hires Amy Scheer as Vice President of Business Operations - Connecticut Sun
- Connecticut Sun Falter to the Seattle Storm - Connecticut Sun
- Charles to Miss June 17 Game vs. Atlanta - Washington Mystics
- Wings Fall to Aces 85-78 - Dallas Wings
- AT&T WNBA All-Star 2021 Returns to Las Vegas July 14 - WNBA
- Sky Bring Back Lexie Brown for Remainder of 2021 WNBA Season - Chicago Sky
- Tina Charles Named Eastern Conference Player of the Week - Washington Mystics
- Los Angeles's Cooper Suspended One Game - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Storm Stories
- Storm Signs Guard Kiana Williams to 7-Day Contract
- Seattle Storm President and CEO Alisha Valavanis Joins Force 10 Sports Management Ownership Group
- Storm Heads to Break with 82-75 Win over Phoenix
- Storm Fall to Mercury, 86-77
- Seattle Storm to Host "Storm out Cancer Night" Presented by Swedish Cancer Institute