Steelheads Hosting Annual Toys for Tots Game
MISSISSAUGA, ON - With the holiday season quickly approaching the Mississauga Steelheads will be hosting their annual Toys For Tots game on Sunday December 15th at 2 pm when they take on the Kingston Frontenacs presented by Wawanesa Insurance. The hockey club is once again proud to work alongside the Peel Regional Police and the Salvation Army to help make a difference for families in need over the holidays.
Constable Emily Rogers, Toys for Tots Co-Chair commented on behalf of the campaign, "The campaign's success is directly attributed to the generosity of people in our region. It's a true reflection of our amazing community and what can happen when we all work together. The Steelheads have been hosting an annual game on our behalf for many years. Your generosity and support is what makes Christmas possible. Happy holidays from our family to yours."
Salvation Army representative, Major Norman Garcia adds, "We are thrilled that the Mississauga Steelheads are supporting The Salvation Army. Their friendship helps us transform need in our community during Christmas into joy."
The Steelheads, Peel Regional Police and the Salvation Army encourage all fans attending to support the toy drive by bringing an unwrapped gift or giving a cash donation to the kiosk located at the main gates. With a donation, fans will be entered for the chance to win a trip for two to the 2020 CHL Memorial Cup presented by Kia. Full contest details can be found by visiting wawanesa.com/toydrive.
"Happy kids, neighbours helping neighbours, and some of the best hockey in the world - it's a winning combination to help more Canadian families enjoy this holiday season," said Selena Hinds, Vice President of Communications and Community Affairs for Wawanesa Insurance. "We are thrilled to partner with the Canadian Hockey League, independent insurance brokers and local charities across Canada on this country-wide holiday toy drive. For us at Wawanesa Insurance, supporting the communities where we work and live is the essence of who we are."
Mississauga will also get their first live look at number one overall pick from the 2019 OHL Priority Draft, Shane Wright. Wright was granted 'Exceptional Player Status' by Hockey Canada to be eligible for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection which features 2003-born talents. He is just the fifth OHL player to receive the distinction following John Tavares (Toronto Marlboros/Oshawa Generals in 2005), defenceman Aaron Ekblad (Sun County Panthers/Barrie Colts in 2011), forward Connor McDavid (Toronto Marlboros/Erie Otters in 2012), and defenceman Sean Day (Detroit Compuware/Mississauga Steelheads in 2013). Tavares, Ekblad, and McDavid were all chosen first overall in their respective seasons and were later first overall picks in the NHL Draft.
This year's Toys for Tots game also marks the third of five Winning Nights during the 2019-20 campaign. If the Steelheads secure 2 points on December 15th, fans in attendance will have an opportunity to redeem their ticket for a free ticket to the club's game against Toronto Maple Leafs prospects Nick Roberston and Semyon Der-Arguchintsev and the Peterborough Petes on January 5th.
Tickets for Sunday's game can be purchased online via Ticketmaster or during regular Box Office hours at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2019
- Propp Puts on a Show to Help Kingston to a 5-4 Win in Oshawa - Kingston Frontenacs
- Tullio Scores Two and Makes It Rain Bears in Shootout Loss to Fronts - Oshawa Generals
- IceDogs' Penalty Troubles Lead to a 5-1 Loss to the Greyhounds - Niagara IceDogs
- Rangers Win-Streak Hits 4 in a 4-3 Win over the Spitfires - Kitchener Rangers
- Firebirds Host Saginaw Next Friday for Star Wars Night & Final Home Game Before Christmas Break - Flint Firebirds
- Steelheads Hosting Annual Toys for Tots Game - Mississauga Steelheads
- Preview: Firebirds Begin Three-Game Road Trip in Barrie Thursday - Flint Firebirds
- Firebirds Call up Giroux, Grainer - Flint Firebirds
- Attack Partner with Boston Pizza to Offer Player for a Day Experience - Owen Sound Attack
- Game Preview: Generals Look to Get Winning against Bottom Dwelling Frontenacs at 7:05pm - Oshawa Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.