Steelheads Announce 2009 Playoff Roster
Boise, Idaho - The ECHL's Idaho Steelheads announced today it will begin the 2009 RC Willey Kelly Cup Championship with 23 players on its roster. The roster has been submitted to the ECHL and is subject to verification by the league office. The ECHL allows for a maximum of 20 skaters on the active roster and room for three players on the Injured Reserve.
Led by 2007 Kelly Cup Champion, Captain Marty Flichel, the roster includes Steelheads veteran defenseman and two-time Kelly Cup Champion Darrell Hay and goaltender Matt Climie, currently with the Steelheads NHL affiliate, the Dallas Stars. Two of the players, Mark Bomersback and Matt Stephenson are currently on recall to the American Hockey League.
In total, 12 forwards, nine defensemen and two goaltenders round out the roster. Three are veterans (Flichel, Hay and Garett Bembridge) and 13 are rookies (see attached roster).
Forwards include (12): Garett Bembridge, Mark Bomersback, Matt Cook, Marty Flichel, Luke Gazdic, Bryan McGregor, Matt McKnight, Ben Nelson, Tyler Shelast, Brent Shepheard, Brandon Svendson, and Dan Welch.
Defensemen include (9): Blake Friesen, Darrell Hay, Trevor Ludwig, Kyle Radke, Kory Scoran, Matt Stephenson, Adam Welch, Riley Weselowski, and Travis Wight.
Goalies include (2): Rejean Beauchemin and Matt Climie (NHL).
The Steelheads will face off against the Victoria Salmon Kings in the first round of RC Willey Kelly Cup Playoffs. Idaho, which finished as the second seed in the National Conference, West Division, are 6-1 in 2008-09 regular season action against the third-seeded Salmon Kings.
The Steelheads will host Games 1 and 2 on Saturday, Apr. 11 at 7:10 pm MT and Sunday, Apr. 12 at 5:10 pm MT at Qwest Arena. Games 3, 4 and 5 (if nec.) will be played in Victoria with 8:05 MT puck drops on Wednesday, Apr. 15, Friday, Apr. 17 and Saturday, Apr. 18. If necessary, Games 6 and 7 will be back on Qwest Arena ice on Tuesday, Apr. 21 and Wednesday, Apr. 22, both at 7:10 pm.
Ticket prices range from $7 junior/senior | $10 adult to $32.50 for adult premiere seating, plus convenience fees. Special $10 tickets, plus convenience fees, are available for the Easter Sunday game. Tickets can be purchased by calling 331-TIXS, by visiting www.idahosteelheads.com (using the print-at-home feature), or by stopping by the Qwest Arena box office. For groups or to guarantee the best seats with a playoff package, please call 383-0080.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2009
- Condors surge into playoffs - Bakersfield Condors
- Gongalsky Returns, Playoff Roster Announced - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Month-long Blood Drive a life saving success - Bakersfield Condors
- Steelheads Announce 2009 Playoff Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Add Bo Cheesman For Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Bordeleau reassigned to Blades, then recalled back to AHL's Milwaukee Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Rays Start Playoffs Thursday - South Carolina Stingrays
- Trenton's Kowalsky Receives John Brophy Award As ECHL Coach of the Year - ECHL
- Salmon Kings To Face Idaho In Round One Of Playoffs - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Phoenix Concludes Four-Year Tenure as a Member of the ECHL - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Bombers Weekly News - Dayton Bombers
- Steelheads Set Playoff Schedule - Idaho Steelheads
- Stingrays Add Forward Ricci - South Carolina Stingrays
- Devils set to embark on Kelly Cup Playoffs against the Elmira Jackals - Trenton Devils
- Cyclones Claim North Division Title - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Kelly Cup Playoff Roster Requirements, Guidelines - ECHL
- Thunder Faces Ontario, Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.