Staying Alive: Gades Beat Hoppers
They have a pulse.
The Hudson Valley Renegades held on for a 6-5 win over the Greensboro Grasshoppers on Wednesday night at Dutchess Stadium.
The Gades (69-47) are now three games back with four games remaining. They must win out to advance to the High-A East Championship Series against Bowling Green.
Down 2-0 in the bottom of the first, the Gades tied the game up on an Everson Pereira double and a force out by Jake Sanford. The Gades took control in the third as a ground out by Pat DeMarco, a double from Eric Wagaman, and a balk netted three runs for a 5-2 lead.
The Hoppers wouldn't go away, throwing one on the board in the fourth inning before Anthony Volpe had a skyscraping shot down the left-field line for his 14th home run with the Renegades.
Still, there's a reason the Hoppers (72-44) have a magic number of two. Greensboro got the game to 6-5 on a Blake Sabol two-run homer in the sixth.
On the mound, Beck Way started and worked four innings, allowing three earned runs with two walks and eight strikeouts. Edgar Barclay (1-2) earned the win allowing two runs (one earned) in 2.2 innings.
With the score 6-5 in the top of the seventh, Greensboro put two on with two out. Hudson Valley manager opted to go his closer, right-hander Derek Craft, who proceeded to work the final 2.1 innings. Craft allowed one hit with two walks and four strikeouts to earn his league-leading 10th save.
The Hoppers had the tying and go-ahead runs on base in the seventh and eighth, along with the tying run on in the ninth but Craft killed off each rally.
The teams meet again on Thursday.
Per the State of New York, the Renegades are now open at 100% capacity. Tickets continue to be a tremendous value starting as low as $6. Visit HVRenegades.com for ticket information and so much more.
Follow the Renegades on Social Media and listen to the "Renegades Weekly" Podcast wherever you get your podcasts.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 16, 2021
- BlueClaws Rally, Win 8-6 Thursday in Brooklyn - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Groshans, Greenville Wins, 4-3, in 12 Innings - Greenville Drive
- Vines, R-Braves Pitching Shuts Down Hickory's Offense in 6-2 Victory - Rome Braves
- Dash Send Tourists Packing in 5-2 Victory - Winston-Salem Dash
- Tonight's Scheduled Doubleheader Altered to Single 9-Inning Game - Rome Braves
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 16) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Asheville Pours It on in 10-1 Win at Winston-Salem - Asheville Tourists
- Staying Alive: Gades Beat Hoppers - Hudson Valley Renegades
- After Loss, Greensboro Still One Win Away from Clinching Playoff Spot - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hudson Valley Renegades Stories
- Renegades Release 2022 Home Game Times & Firework Shows
- Thank You, Fans
- Gades Lose Finale
- Gades Get Copa Night Win
- Hoppers Punch Playoff Ticket