Stauffer promoted to San Diego
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Beavers right-handed pitcher Tim Stauffer had his contract purchased by the San Diego Padres, it was announced Monday morning.
Stauffer, 22, was 2-0 with a 2.33 ERA and 31 strikeouts in six starts with the Beavers. The second-year professional is coming off his best start with the Beavers after tossing 9.0 scoreless innings and allowing six hits and one walk in a no-decision against Salt Lake on May 5.
At the time of his promotion, the first of his career, Stauffer ranked sixth in the Pacific Coast League in ERA, also ranking among league leaders in innings pitched (38.2).
Stauffer was a first-round selection (fourth overall) of the Padres in the 2003 draft.
Also on Monday, the Padres purchased the contract of right-handed reliever Brian Falkenborg. In 13 relief appearances with Portland, Falkenborg, 27, was 3-1 with a 1.98 ERA.
Falkenborg, who signed with the Padres a minor league free agent in the off-season, has eight major league appearances to his credit, coming in stints with Baltimore in 1999 and the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2004. He is 1-0 with a 6.23 ERA (12er, 17.1ip) in his eight big league appearances.
The moves were necessitated when the Padres placed right-handed pitcher Tim Redding on the disabled list and designated left-handed pitcher Randy Williams for assignment.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 9, 2005
- Community heroes to be recognized during Bank of America Day at Tucson Electric Park on July 3rd - Tucson Sidewinders
- Isotopes Lose Slugfest to Z's, 14-10 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Action-packed homestand includes fireworks, BirdZerk! and all-around family fun - Fresno Grizzlies
- Beavers postponed on Monday due to rain - Portland Beavers
- Hart's homer in ninth breaks hearts of Royals fans - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Open Homestand At Greer On Tuesday - Nashville Sounds
- 9th-Inning Hart Blast Propels Sounds Past Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Stauffer promoted to San Diego - Portland Beavers
- Salute To Duck Tape Night highlights middle portion of 'Topes 12-pack - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Portland's Knott unties knot with eighth-inning blast - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss